wrangler transfer case grind in 4hi

Hi -

I have a 2004 Wrangler X with about 6000 miles on it. I've done some mild off-roading in the last year, but it's been a couple months since my last time out. So I was out yesterday with a friend of mine on some trails nearby, and while in 4HI for a while, just going along, not doing anything fancy or crazy, I heard this really terrible grinding sound coming from the transfer case... at least, it sounds like it's coming from the transfer case.

Well, I immediately put in the clutch and shifted from 4HI to 2HI and back to 4HI again, gave it a little gas, no problem, and everything was fine after that for a while. Then it did it again, and a third time later in the day. Each time this occurred I was in 4HI.

A couple times the grinding came when I was going through some 8-10" deep water, and one time it happened while engine-braking down a smooth, relatively steep dirt road in 2nd gear. I don't think the water had anything to do with it, I *think* that was coincidence... but maybe not?

I looked underneath to see if there was any visible damage to the underside, and I couldn't find even a scratch or dirt or anything to indicate I'd rubbed ground. Nothing appears out of place, but I'm not an expert, so I could have missed something. Anyway, I didn't get hung up on anything so I doubt any kind of physical trauma is the cause.

The best I can guess is that somehow I slipped out of 4HI towards

2HI... is this possible? If possible, is it at all likely this was the cause?

So yeah, if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, I'd love to know! I'm going to be bringing my jeep in for a regular checkup in a week or two, and I'd like to know what I should tell them to check to fix this problem.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

From your description, I would be looking at the linkage between the shifter and the tcase itself. It sounds as though you may not be engaging 4WD fully. I didn't see any discussion of how well 4LO might work, but it seems to me that if there was internal problems with the tcase, they would also be apparent in 4LO. My suspicion is that the bolt on the base of the shift lever is loosened some, and the shifter is slipping on the rod and resulting in a less-than-full engagement of the tcase.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I was guessing (and it was SWAG at that) that he had a dry U-joint in the front drive shaft or that he had a bad rear mount allowing the case to swing around and hit the sheet metal. But that was just a SWAG.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ah. My reading for comprehension skills on public display. Maybe I've been staring at too much old iron lately.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Hmmmmm not sure really. Hopefully some others will have some ideas. But, neither of the situations you mention below (smooth dirt road,

8-10 >Hi -
Reply to
David C. Moller

That's possible... I'll admit I'm not totally certain about what you're talking about (I haven't seen nor worked on that part of my jeep before), but it sounds like a plausable / reasonable cause of the problem.

It doesn't seem that it's so much a problem in the transfer case itself, because when it's engaged in 4HI or 4LO, and it's working, it works great. It would seem that if it were a problem in the transfer case, that any 4WD engagement would cause the problem to emerge, and it wouldn't be so easily remedied.

I'll have them check out those connections, thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

True, neither of those situations where the grinding occurred necessitated 4WD, but some other parts of the trail we were on did. Besides that, I don't get a chance to use 4WD that often in my daily-driving routine, so I try to make use of it when I can... if for no other reason than to keep the parts functioning.

The only time I ever bound the transfer case was about a week after I bought it, when I was more naive than I am now ;) - one jittery corner on dry pave was enough to tell me that's a bad idea. Nothing broke and I've done enough 4WD action to feel assured I did no real damage to the system.

Do you think that could be even somewhat responsible for this? For as quick as that bind was, and how well it's worked since then, I have difficulty accepting that one jittery corner could be the cause of this other issue... things just don't seem to fit, ya know?

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts! If you have any others, I'd love to hear them...

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Naw, I don't think that's it then. Doubt that one time woulda hurt it. It was just the only thought.I had. :)

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

I haven't even got that kind of tcase! My brother's YJ had some issues one day, or maybe it was an XJ that I was wheeling with. But he could not get into 4HI at all, and we were able to set the linkage on the trail and lock it down by tightening the bolt.

The shifter has a collar on the bottom that fits over a shaft, and has a bolt through it to lock the lever to the shaft. If I am thinking clearly (I am nearly as old as JerryB, so there is plenty of room for doubt) there are flats on the shaft. If the bolt comes loose, it can still catch on the ends of the flats and pull the shaft to engage 4HI.

All you really need is a flashlight and a buddy. Have the buddy take the light and crawl under the Jeep while you wiggle the lever. hehehe

Reply to
CRWLR

I had the same thing happen. I didn't pull back hard enough on the 4WD lever. No problem after that or Your shift linkage might need adjusting? Esp if you hit something while off road?

Reply to
Brian Hubley