transfer box input gear - to change or not to change

Hi,

I bought a lt230 box off someone, its done about 100k miles in a 110 V8. I also got as part of the deal a new input gear (unfitted), but having read the workshop manual, it seems replacing it is not so easy as you have to measure the preload etc and change the shims etc to get it right.

Do I risk just fitting the tbox without changing the input gear and see how it whines?

Or risk changing the input gear without worrying about the preload (just leave whatever shims are already in there?)

Anyone else changed the input gear without worrying about shims / preload ?

Help....

Thanks alot,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Why do you need to fit the input gear? Are the gearbox output shaft splines shagged due to lack of oil? If so, you will HAVE to change the input gear as it will be damaged. If it's Ok, why bother to fit it, or is there some other reason matey?

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

Good question...

I have no idea what the original gearbox output shaft was like when they were removed from the 110, as the gearbox has been swapped for a recon one. The guy I got both boxes from bought the new input gear but never got round to fitting it.

So could I just take a look at the existing input gear from where the gearbox shaft slides in, and if it looks OK then just leave it?

To be honest I'm slowly coming round to the idea of just putting the (new to me 2nd hand) tbox in together with then new recon main box and seeing what it all sounds like. If its really bad, then its not so bad to take just the t box out again.

In fact the tbox thats on my 110 at the moment (not the same one as discussed above) is not so bad, just whines a bit.

I definatly need to change the main box (LT85) as the original one I've got on my 110 sounds very very bad, despite only having done 40k miles.

Anyway thanks for your advice,

Cheers Andrew

Nige wrote:

es shagged due to lack of oil?