Buying an older Disco..

Hi, I am about to purchase my first Land Rover. I have a budget of £4000 and I want a Discovery. Basically what I want is the newest, highest spec vehicle I can get for the money. My wish list is:

Diesel,

5 doors, Electric pack Manual (although I may be swayed if this isn't the best option) Nice dark metallic colour (not white, had white cars before...hmmm) Alloys. Wouldn't mind Air con.

Has anybody any advice on what I should steer clear of or anything I should be looking for in a vehicle of this age. I have ascertained by looking at various advertisements over the past six weeks that I can feasibly expect to get a J, K or at the outside an L reg Disco for this sort of money.

I have always wanted a Land Rover since I was a wee small lad, I now have the chance to buy it.....

Any advice gratefully accepted.

-- This world sucks.... which is good 'cos if it didn't we'd all fall off. ChunkyVulcan

Reply to
ChunkyVulcan

Most important thing is buy on condition, not age or mileage or anything else. See as many as you can and buy the one in the best nick.

As for the gearbox, manuals go better as it's a bit underpowered for an auto, but the auto box is much more reliable.

Reply to
Exit

Thanks Julian, I prefer manual boxes, had a Carlton 2.0 auto and that could hardly pull itself out of bed in the morning I think I will try to get a manual. Going to look at 3 today, a J and 2 K regs... Keeping an open mind. :-)

-- This world sucks.... which is good 'cos if it didn't we'd all fall off. ChunkyVulcan

Reply to
ChunkyVulcan

Hi!

I'm also thinking of getting an older Disco in the same price range (need to sell 2 other cars first, though!). I'm going for a 5-door 200 Tdi manual, 7-seat.

A few relevant questions:- Are the main gearbox output splines likely to be worn on vehicles over

80,000miles? Is corrosion of rear floor a common problem? Are 200 Tdi engines good for high mileages, and are they really more robust than the later 300 Tdi? Is chassis rot a problem on well-kept older Discos yet? Could I expect 30 mpg if I don't hammer it?

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

Our 1990 V8i does 13-14mpg town driving and 17mpg on long runs/motorway. Towing our twin axle caravan its down again to 13mpg, as long as you stick to the motorway. When we went to Wales last time taking into account the hills, no motorway once you got off the M6, it was about 10mpg.

Reply to
Nikki

Thanks for the replies, SteveG and Nikki. A V8i would be nice, but those fuel consumption figures - eeek!!!! Think I'll stick with the Tdi idea, specially as we'll probably be getting a caravan too!

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

I get slightly better numbers from my 3.9, but very rarely the right side of 20mpg.

Town driving is an absolute killer for the MPG though.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs