Clunk in the rear of early Disco

Do you have one, I did & thought as it seems everybody else does that it is the A frame ball joint or worse, however I had to replace the old pattern exhaust with a new one yesterday & noted how close to the rear body the pipe that loops over the axle was,so made an effort to ensure everything was pushed up tight & in the right place, low & behold, when driving today...No Clunk.. It was the old exhaust fouling the body. Footnote it may only be on early Disco's as origonaly they had a 2 part system which was apparently a bugger to get out & so pattern exaust's apeared with an extra joint betwixt the boxes.

Chris

1990 Disco 200Tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

I had a similar clunk which sounded exactly the same as the clunk I got when the front wheel bearing went. It turned out to be the rearmost exhaust mount where the bolt which holds it all together had sheared. New bolt, no clunk, except it did it again a while later.

David

Reply to
David French