Clutch on a diesel disco

Anybody give me any idea of how big a job this is to do?

I've come to the conclusion that the clunking I've been having is a clutch problem as I now have a ghastly rattle on overrun and a high pitched squealing coming from amidships during most acceleration which I'm putting down to something in the clutch dying.

How much should I expect to pay to have this looked at and fixed? Any ideas?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I'd expect to pay around £450 ukp to have it done including parts. Thats based on my last experience of someone else on the group having it done rather than myself.

It's no small task, more time consuming and a fiddle to do at home. There are cradles available on ebay to fit on a trolley jack which seem to go for £50. But add that to the parts and the number of times your likely to use this £50 tool and the faffing around doing it along with hire car should you need a runner whilst tinkering its probably more cost effective to bung in your local no franchised repairs place and pinch there courtousy car or go for a jog or two.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

HI

Parts are about £100 for 3 piece clutch and fork!

If you have something to lift engine out then i would say that 12 hours should have the job done. less if there is another pair of hands!

Reply to
Jinx

But it sounds more like a propshaft bearing..... TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

And indeed turned out to be a disintegrated rear UJ on the front propshaft combined with a binding handbrake.

Tomorrow I check and see if there's any oil in the front diff. And the power steering.

This thing's just started being a pig to steer at low speed, but it feels like something the transmission's doing.

Of course it's possible this UJs been dying for a while and I've been used to a sloppy transmission.

We'll see.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown