"Chunky" power steering on a Disco

Does anybody have any idea what would make the power steering on a Disco feel chunky?

By this I mean that as you turn it you get periods of high assistance and low assistance (although never to the extent that it feels like there's no PS)

I've checked the fluid levels, and they're fine for just now. Any thoughts?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Check the power steering belt correctly tensioned, and that it is not worn/damaged.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:59:27 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

check your balljoints.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

U/Js.

Reply to
njf>badge

UJs have been replaced recently - this happens even when moving the wheel when the vehicle isn't in motion.

I'm going to check the belt to the pump later.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:26:44 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

The ones in the steering column...

Try jacking both front wheels and turning the steering with the engine off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sticky relief valve in the PS pump?

Reply to