coil getting hot

Coil getting hot, Any suggestions, blown one up already!!!

Basically got a ignition switched live feed to one side of the coil the neutral switched across the points. The engine dose run but the coil still gets very hot. Not having a diagram, should there be a ballast resistor in series with the live feed?

Can any one point me in the right direction i.e web page circuit diagram.

regards

Andy

Reply to
wps

Andy, Has this coil been ok before or have you just replaced it. If you have just replaced it is it the right low voltage coil. I once put a high voltage coil in mine and it got red hot and burnt out the points..

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

Are we talking Range Rover? If so, then yes in most cases there should be a ballast resistor in the circuit. If it's not there you will get exactly the symptoms you describe. I don't know about on-line, but the Haynes book gives sufficient info.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:01:02 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

same effects with one or other combination of "wrong" coil - I *think* it was using an "electronic" coil with a points dizzy. 'tother way round, it just doesn't run properly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So Austin Shackles was, like

No coil expert (least, not the automotive kind), but I mistakenly fitted a ballast-type coil to the S2a and it overheated enough to cause a misfire. Replaced with original and it ran fine. So that combination certainly doesn't work.

Reply to
Richard Brookman