Courtesy "car"

I dropped Owl off for a wallet fleecing today, and to my surprise (haha) they didn't give me a supercharged RR to drive home in.

No.

They gave me some gutless blue box. Pretty color. I like the GPS - pity it thinks my postcode is in Peterborough somewhere The interior is horrible. Who designed it? Someone with a tacky plastic fetish?

When I turned the key I was greeted with a pretty picture of a book (or is it an open wallet) and some nonsense about the gearbox not being able switch modes. Great. 1500 miles on the clock! Oh and speaking of clocks - where oh where is the one that tells the time?

Press the loud pedal....wait....wait some more and finally move off. Wheeeee we are driving. Oh I need to stop. I wasn't aware I had to radio ahead......unimpressed.

Clatter clatter clatter. Can I have my RR back now please?

Here ends my review of that abortion dubbed "Discovery 3"

Reply to
Neffalump

During stardate Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:52:57 +0000 (UTC), "Neffalump" uttered the imortal words:

What spec and ingine?

Do they do v8 anythings these days? Or are they all derv demolishers.

I don't know because it's on a need to know basis... I don't need to know for at least 5 years I recon.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

Didn't V8 production cease a little while ago? Could explain why the value of my 50th Ann 90 with 4.0 V8 keeps on going north.

Reply to
hugh

Bummer !!!

When my 110 packed up in France, nice little man from Land Rover Assist dropped of a brand new Jaguar AWD 3 litre estate ( had it for 6 days ) was nice to get the 110 back though !!!

Reply to
Hirsty's

Neffalump muttered summat about:

Disco 2 had every bit as much plastic

In the centre console by the climate control switches.

Must be in the wrong gearbox mode. Put it in sports mode and it will literally spin the wheels off a standing start.

Shame, they are a bloody good bit of kit, both on and off road. Look at it this way, there are loads on the road and a waiting list. Love them or hate them they are what is saving Landrover. Doesn't matter how much you love your old RR it doesn't keep the marque going.

As for RR sport it has Disco3 chassis and most of the disco3 interior, do go well though.

Sounds like you must have had one that has been abused. I really like then. My fathers goes really well, he is on his 4th disco (after 2 RRs) and he recons its the best vehicle he has ever driven. I've driven it and it doesnt half shift!

Reply to
Graham G

Lee_D muttered summat about:

No, V8 is still available. All the G4 ones are V8!

Can't recommend them enough. I'm a convert, esp with the tdv6 over td5, much better engine!

Reply to
Graham G

hugh muttered summat about:

Rover V8 production did, the new D3 and RR have a Jag V8 (or derivative there of).

Reply to
Graham G

GG> Disco 2 had every bit as much plastic

Not in such a large "chunk" as the D3. I'm no fan of Ford interiors - and this is a classic one.

GG> In the centre console by the climate control switches.

Oh - you mean the radio display?! Silly me - and it's in such a nice place....

GG> Must be in the wrong gearbox mode. Put it in sports mode and it will GG> literally spin the wheels off a standing start.

IMHO it should not need smoke mode to make it perform. I rarely use Sport mode on my V8 RR3. Oh and if it does spin the wheels then there's something wrong with the terrapin response.....it should be impossible to wheelspin the vehicle on dry tarmac.

??>> Wheeeee we are driving. Oh I need to stop. I wasn't aware I had to ??>> radio ahead......unimpressed.

My "old" RR3 :-) Hehe. I'm no convert. But to be fair - I despise diesel, and I think this TDV6 is still underpowered for the vehicle. Bring on the V8 diesel that is soon to be showcased in the RR3 :-)

GG> As for RR sport it has Disco3 chassis and most of the disco3 interior, GG> do go well though.

..and one of the reasons people are going back to the RR3 over the sport...is the interior.

GG> Sounds like you must have had one that has been abused. I really like GG> then. My fathers goes really well, he is on his 4th disco (after 2 RRs) GG> and he recons its the best vehicle he has ever driven. I've driven it GG> and it doesnt half shift!

I don't expect buggy software, knackered gearbox switch modes and other foibles in a 1500 mile vehicle. If this is the best that Ford can produce after all this time, then quite franky they can continue thinking my D1 has HDC ...... muppets.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Shite init? Doesn't even leak oil on the driveway. Not a proper Landie. (BTW, I actually quite like the D3. Reckon they gave you a known duff).

Reply to
Mother

I appear to have managed to break the horn on Owl. Can't imagine how - can't have had anything to do with wading up to the windscreen in Salsibury runny mud..... I'll say one thing for it - leaks into external components aside (i.e. headlights) - the engine bay was still clean!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Neil Brownlee muttered summat about:

Afraid I'd disagree, althought the entry level models are worse than the HSE. Besides, I never understand how people can say the interior is all plastic. Interiors are always plastic, they have been for twenty years. The only ones that aren't are the military ones (defenders) and even they have a bit. Surely its better than the plastic wood trim they used to use (and many still do). What do you suggest they make it from, besides it is quite obviously what the market wants as everyone on the market is the same.

Don't see your point really, its visible enough and tells the time what more is there??

You shouldn't need to. I never got out of normal mode with the one I drove. Went bloody well I thought. Besides all that, you cannot seriously be telling me that you expect the best out of a car that has only done 1500 miles???? An engine won't have loosened up properly til it gets around

10,000 miles.

Oh and if it does spin the wheels then

Did I say dry tarmac?? Besides no its not impossible, you should spend some time with LR testers, believe me they can do it!

Another thing, you are comparing a £35,000 vehicle with a £50,000 vehicle and telling me its not quite as good, bit of a no brainer that one!

Couldn't agree more, it is underpowered, cos the ruddy thing weighs 2.8t!! The V8 petrol doesn't go much better in it either. As for the V8 diesel, LR engineers tell me that its unlikely to ever go in the Disco. Same as the TdV6 isn't going in the new defender (big shame).

Again you are comparing the RR sport that comes in at the same price as a D3 and below the RR with the top of the line one, its ever likely to fall short. Have you seen the RR4 interior yet? You won't be a happy bunny if they follow through the designs I've seen.

Are you having a laugh?? The RR was voted the one of the most unreliable cars in the JD power survey (don't you remember all the troubles with the P38s?), as was the D2 and freelander when they were launched, they had bugger all to do with ford.

As far as I'm concerned (and LR staff will tell you this, reluctantly), ford have saved an ailing company that was fast heading the way of MGRover. The new generation of LRs that have been developed by ford are the most reliable vehicles LR has produced in a good few years (and there are LR statistics to back that up). Not to mention the fact that they are shifting greater numbers than they have in years. What would you rather, the marque carrying on into the future or disappearing? Lets not forget here about the marques in the ford stable; Mazda, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, LR, Aston Martin, they are huge global players and produce some of the best premium end cars in the world. They have renewed LRs place in the market place as a global player with a premium product. Like it or not, they are here to stay and if you wish to support the brand in the future then you will be buying a ford derived product, that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

If this is the best that Ford

Sure thats not the muppets in the LR garage? You cannot blame garage muppets for not knowing. I work in the Ag machinery industry primarily for one brand. In the current line up there are over 40 models, they have been out 2 years previous to that there were 40 models that were out for 5 years. Long story short if you take the last ten years thats 135 models I'm supposed to be an expert on in the eyes of the customer. That might be do-able, however within the group are 2 further brands, we also cover a further 33 franchises. In my current portfolio I have over 1300 products, over the last ten years that would account for approx 3500 products, and customers get upset when we do not know every little thing about their particular machine that was bought ten years ago. Its bloody hard enough keeping up with todays line up without all those that have gone before and I'm sure its much the same in the car industry.

Reply to
Graham G

Graham,

Thanks for the mail ;-) However - I was actually comparing the D3 to my D1 and to an extent my Freelander. I know it's just silly comparing it to the RR....

Was the RR3 voted unreliable? I seem to recall hearing that it was possibly one of the only Land Rovers to roll off off the production line without

*major* faults..in either software or hardware in it's first year? But as I do not watch TV I can't say for sure if that is right :(
Reply to
Neffalump

A £2000 service does not suggest a paragon of "not-going-wrong-edness". :-)

What are you having done to it?

David

Reply to
rads

The service was a small portion of the job. I needed a new headlight (filled with mud), new discs and pads (not as cheap as Piglets :( ), a new reach motor, a new horn (filled with mud....), some diagnostic work doing on the entertainment system (I had a 3rd party installer fit some extra stuff...silly me) and some other stuff. Labour was the killer on this one.... :(

Nothing there, apart from the reach motor, was a surprise to me.

Last time he goes main dealer.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Not knowing what a "reach motor" was I stuck it into Google which found this

there are a couple of relevant service bulletins. Don't know if this implies a design fault.

David

Reply to
rads

Neffalump muttered summat about:

Hmmm, well either way, I would have thought the new one would be alot better than either of those, no offense. Father seems convinced having owned one of all preceeding models. Have to say, wasn't struck by desighn when I first saw it, but now I've got used to it I actually prefer it. Despite your negative findings, they really have put some work into designing it. 18mths previous to launch they gathered many LR owners together for input (father was one of about 100). Many of the things that were brought up (apparently) have been addressed from their prototypes. Its inevitable that they will never please everyone, but surely the numbers and great press response speaks for its self?

Note 165 & 167

Note 85 & 96
Says it all I recon.

Reply to
Graham G

GG> Note 165 & 167 GG>

^ That is 2 years before the model I own was released....

GG> Note 85 & 96 GG>

^ Same again - the P38a ... NOT the L322 that I own....

GG> Says it all I recon.

It does look :

" Quality & reliability Signs are good for improved reliability"

I fear you are mixing up the P38a (which was full of typical LR holes) with the L322 which BMW built....

Reply to
Neffalump

Yeah,

I had to use outlook feckpress ;-) Don't normally.....but my proper PC is sick :(

Reply to
Neffalump

Neffalump muttered summat about:

previous quote "The RR was voted the one of the most

Didn't mention RR3, although I appreciate that you did in reply. I agree they do seem to have got it sussed with the RR3. I was merely pointing out that you cannot blame ford for LR faults. Indeed the vehicles under the Ford banner have been the most reliable for years. Secondly it is not neccissarily the fault of the designers if a car proves unreliable its very often the blokes on the line. Take Emma's MG, it is based on the old Rover

200, little had changed in the design. The 200 was a good car, bland but reliable enough. Emma's MG however has been plagued by problems; the air intake sucked water into the engine, cos it had never been connected and dragged on the floor, the power steering pipes burst cos soeone had forgotten to put a bracket on that stopped them rubbing on the suspention, she kept getting shocks through the bodywork cos the earth hadn't been connected, the heated rear window packed up because the wires had been pinched in the hinge, I could go on. A one off you say, I could give you the names of 6 other people who had similar problems.

Third and final point, initial thread was about D3 and in that respect I have yet to read anything seriosly negative about them, and in everything I have read it says they are the benchmark for LR. Honestly yhtink you must have been given a dud cos I know a lot of people with them who haven't had any trouble at all. Much improved on the D2 which had loads of problems, although the facelift one was much better.

TBH if the only thing you found was a faulty sender switch or the like, in what is essentially a brand new (design wise) vehicle from the ground up, then I recon thats pretty good. You get niggles with most new vehicles in the first few months of ownership.

Reply to
Graham G