Cruise Control 1999 Discovery TD5

Hello Group,

My cruise control has karked it. It's been intermittent for a few months but I don't use it ALL that often. It's completely dead now.

Can any of your experienced minds give a heads-up...??? A faulty switch somewhere, faulty electronics somewhere, an expensive exercise to repair...???

Where can I look...???

Cheers & many thanks.

Ric Norris. Brisbane. Australia.

Reply to
Ric Norris

Rubber hoses.. check them. Always the first to fail.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

V8 yes but not a TD5. The TD5 is completely "fly by wire", this is what makes adding cruise to a Disco TD5 such a doddle, you just add the switches.

Does the main on/off switch light up? If not the +v supply to the switch is missing (or the earth for the LED). The LED is from the switch output to ground so only really indicates that the switch works not that the signal is getting to the ECU...

I'd look for a loose/corroded connection to the switches or possibly a chaffed/broken wire from the steering switches to the loom. Another possibilty is a worn out rotary coupler that allows the electrical circuits through to the steering wheel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave.

The main switch lights up...I will investigate the other possibilities.

Cheers.

Ric Norris.

Reply to
Ric Norris

Hi Ric, If you get stuck and are travelling to the Sunshine Coast, drop into British Off Road and I can have a look at it for you. Might want to ring beforehand, we're pretty busy most days.

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
Craig

Just for the Google record.

Who would have thought my brake lights have been out since December & no-one had mentioned it, apart from a work collegue last week.

Brake light switch wiring needed re-connecting. Cruise control now works. AU$44.00 at an auto electrician...what a bargain.

Thank God I didn't take it all to Landrover.

Cheers.

Ric Norris. Brisbane. Australia.

Reply to
Ric Norris

I'm not surprised how do you tell some one their brake lights are out unless you happen to stop near them?

Even more of bargin if you'd ferreted about near the brake pedal and popped the connector back on yourself. B-)

At least the computer has a sensible interlock with the cruise control. You don't want to enable cruise if touching the brakes (or clutch) won't turn it off. What is disappointing is lack of warning from said computer about the failure of the brake light switch circuit, it could have at least boinged when you used the brakes or something.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

timewaswhen ... if you were using your vehicle everyday you'd not get past about two days of driving without knowing about it. A neat flash of lights from behind - followed by a quick blast of the two-tones for the day-dreamers - and one of our finest boys in blue would be advising and discussing the minutae of every single (near) fault that could be observed without the aid of a tool kit - and a casual glance over the paperwork too while we're all here, just to make sure all the ducks are sitting nicely in their respective rows

f/fwd to today - longest period of failed brake light observed so far on a daily used vehicle - 10 months it's not about the potential penalty - it's about the probability of getting away with it

FWIW: I'm one of those that will try to tell a driver if there's an obvious fault they might not know about - as I'm sure are many others here.

Reply to
William Tasso

Well with only one car and neary 100 square miles for it to cover. I have been pulled for a duff brake light, but many moons ago. I think he got a bit miffed as the interior mirror had fallen off so I couldn't see his blue lights or head lights in my side mirrors as he was so close behind. And I was on my own, in a town I'd never driven through before, in rush hour, trying to navigate my way through traffic lights and round abouts...

Aye, followed a car this evening with offside brake light not working, if I'd known she had her window open before she turned right I'd have opened mine and shouted "brake light" at her...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I did that once, and was invited to 'reproduce elsewhere'...

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Probably 70:30 in getting abuse rather than thanks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah I know..much more exciting knowing someone else had to to a limbo dance under the brake pedal...and ....he wasn't even wearing spectacles.

Cheers.

Reply to
Ric Norris