Decision Time!

I've just tried to turn the 110 over and it looks as though the head gasket has gone as well, because although it's trying to start it isn't quite getting there and I'm getting a black sooty deposit in the tailpipe.

Would anyone like to

a/ Tell me what they would consider a reasonable price for changing a head gasket .

b/Venture an opinion on whether it is worth having the work done on an engine which has done around 24,000 miles, or replace the engine.?

The deciding factor for me may be not just cost, but the fact that the 110 has just passed MOT for another year without any work needing to be done and the powder coated chassis is sound and has never been plated.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

if its only done 24,000 miles, then it is worth it, its only just run in! If you mean 240,000, then I would have a look at the condition of the engine as well.

Depends on what engine it is, but head gasket is easy job to do at home, assuming there are no cracks, and it is not warped, else send the head off for repairs, and do everything else yourself.

-- To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I have never known a diesel not to have a black sooty deposit in the tailpipe - I thought that was normal.

I assume this is the 300TDi that you had the radiator go on (previous thread)...I suppose it may have damaged the head if you didn't realise it was overheating. Or completely knackered the engine if you drove it any distance with no water.

At 24,000 miles the engine is just run in. Are you sure its the head gasket, and not heater plugs or something simple ? You might be able to get a compression test done using the heater plug holes. If nothing else has been disturbed then I would have the head off and check it out. Its got to be cheaper than a new engine.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve