HELP! Question - Powdercoat removal

Is there someway to remove powdercoating? I'd like to strip my roofrack frame so I can get it chrome plated. Thanks.

Art Imerito

'69 Resto-custom

Reply to
BIG ART 330

.................There is no good or easy way to remove a powdercoated finish. Paint strippers and/or heat won't touch it. Sandpaper isn't gonna do anything but make it look dull insead of glossy. Grinding will ruin the metal surface underneath in regard to plating. Instead, I'd get a new bare metal rack frame for plating. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I just finisned stripping the powder coating from a set of Porsche rims, using Marhyde aircraft stripper. 2 applications and a steel brush worked for me. I was informed by the owner of Advanced Powder Coating in Burlington, NC. He has done a few chassis for me and some wild engine tins.

He has also done some sand rails, even a full size car body.

So if anyone wants something powder coated call (336)524-0001 ask for Joey

Hope this helps Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys