Defender Continuation

This was sent out from Land Rover today. Good news for the old girl I say!

DEFENDER CONTINUATION

The Company today announced that Defender production would continue into

2008. This further extension to the long life of Defender has been made possible by the introduction of the Ford Puma engine to replace the Storm engine in 2006 and by making further modifications to ensure the vehicle is fully compliant with the new EU regulations coming into effect in 2006. Additional work is also underway to identify opportunities that could extend the vehicle life even further. It is expected that the result of this work will be known early in 2005.

The details of how this announcement impacts on power train components other than the engine will be communicated early in 2005.

Reply to
news.ntlworld.net

I hope that doesn't mean "the engine out of the Ford Puma"...

Reply to
David French

Oh fun - Zetec Defender! Better than a CVH I guess.

I've got this sudden urge to shove the Cologne lump into a landie. Could be quite useful in its own way.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Cosworth Defender ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hrmm.

/me wonders if Austin would sell that XR4 to him if he knew it was going to be stripped for power and drivetrain for a S3 chassis.....

Could get a bit frisky with a 60/40 traction split on an offroader.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:42:02 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

oh yes, they are. You can also get conversion plates from thingy. Steve Parker, maybe. someone, anyway.

used to be a popular thing to put into a series.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry matey, XR4's didn't have an Cossie engine! they either had a 2.8 or 2.9 V6. Ford (BDA onwards) never went above 2l, until the Scorpio 2.9 V6 Cosworth engine, (that I know of, I have driven many of them)

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Sorry but Cosworth now belongs to VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:51:19 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

actually, it's 2/3:1/3, not 60/40, AFAIK. and a great system in fact.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:27:22 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

Has anyone ever put a SAAB engine in a landy? My wifes 1990 2.0 turbo goes like stink, I imagine in a swb with the right gearing it could be a beauty.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

You can always use the engine from a Rover 220/620/820 Ti (turbocharged and around 200 bhp) which fits very nicely with the LT and R380 gearbox (remember the same block is powering the Mpi Discovery)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Twas Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:57:06 +0200 when "Pantelis Giamarellos" put finger to keyboard producing:

But the Mpi disco is horridly underpowered (not as bad as my 110 though I suspect). Could you upgrade an Mpi disco using parts from one of the rovers you list?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Umm - the Cologne was available in 2.3 and 2.8l well before the 2.9 cossie, and the old Kent lump went up to 3l.

And I know the XR4s have only got a souped up cologne, but it's the running gear I needed mated to it.

p.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Is that the T16 engine?

If it is then I wouldn't touch it with a very long barge pole - the engine is one of the worst I have ever met.

Nasty weak point on the #4 cylinder allowing a blow through between the cylinder and the water jacket which is a £800 block skim to fix, and that's only temporary.

I had a non-turbo 820 with this block and that's what killed it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:33:47 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I had a 2.3 granada. nice smooth motor.

's not all that souped, either. The K-jet injection system takes to 150 BHP nominal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:36:01 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

The old 820 was an O-series, then later the 16V same as the MPi. M16, I think, not T.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The later ones were still a heap of poo.

The O series wasn't too bad, allowing for it being a 1940s BMC design.

A lot of the old BMC engines had a good bit going for them, I still like working on As and Bs although the oddities like the 1500 (E serieS??) and the Maxi 1750 (N was it?) were a bit worse.

Anybody ever fit a C-Series to a land rover?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul Hi,

This is strange because here in Greece where the ambient temperature is much higher than in the UK this is NOT a known problem for this engine both on Rover and Land Rover applications.

Especially the turbocharged version is known as a very sturdy and problem free engine.

I guess it must be the Greek sun that's making them behave better...... (kidding)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I almost forgot it.

LAND ROVER themselves have installed the Mpi 16V four cylinder engine (I think it was code named the T16 by the way) in the Defender for the Italian Police (Carabinieri)

Strangely enough most of the vehicles were also fitted with A/C and leather interior as standard (those Italians know the secret of good life.....)

Take care Pantelis

(turbocharged

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Assuming that the newer saabs are laid out like my older ones (80-84), It would be a tricky conversion to get a saab engine fixed onto a transfer box capable of doing any 4WD. the saab gearbox is stuck onto the bottom of the engine. I really doubt a saab gear box would take the punishment of driving a landy either (I have saab with a blown gearbox in the drive!)

Going the other way however is possibly more feasable. I'm considering trying to put a rover v8 into a saab :) (some test saab 99's were made with triumph V8's in em apparently). As soon as i get the time i'm gonna compare a saab gearbox to the sump of a v8 and check where stuff ends up.

Reply to
Tom Woods