THE DISCO PASSED

Hi all,

Wandered along to the MOT place today. I need to add I have spent £3000 on my Kreg 7 seater disco 2.5 TDI in the last three years with the average MOT bill coming in at £650. I bought the vehicle for £5200. So I have spent a lot in 3 years.

I have changed bushes, suspension, turrets, exhaust, gearbox, transmission, etc etc. So i reckon over three years I have gone through everything that could go wrong. Uprated the headlights and Waxoyled it thoroughly.

Anyway took it in yesterday and the MOT tester was impressed, reckoned it was in excellent nick for it's age and it was perfect underneath. He coudln't find anything, he said there was a tiny amount of play in the front wheel bearing but it was not a fail, a small amount of oil on the rear diff seal that needs looking at , but not a fail and a tiny amount of play in the steering doughnut, he was very thorough as I asked him to be. I like to know my car is safe.

So I have a new test certificate.

My emissions were 0.9 which I am told is excellent.

Im a happy man, now how do I tighten that wheel bearing? Is it simple and can I do it in a day, how about rear diff oil seal, same - can I do it in a day.

Andrew Renshaw

Don't seem very economical to me.

Why shouldn't something as recent as a Disco pass an MOT ?

If my old wreck of a series 3 can pass why worry about a Disco ?

Reply to
Larry

On or around Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:29:31 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

old discos are getting on for 15 years old now, and some of them are very rusty. They can be repaired, of course, like all LRs, but sometimes people don't bother - there are plenty of newer ones about for not-huge money (FSVO huge).

If it's been looked after and not, for example, used for launching a boat, then it should be OK, it's true. There are also some points such as smoke tests which your banger doesn't have to pass or gets an easier test, depending on age.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Shock absorbers, brakes, tyres, light bulbs, bushes, wheel bearings, windscreens etc can all be shagged before a car has its first MoT, let alone its 10th, which many Discos will be up to by now. There will be plenty of 4 year old Discos well past 100,000 miles.

Add in bodywork damage, rusting chassis bits and other Disco-specific maladies and there are plenty of reasons for a K-plater to fail an MoT.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Both simple jobs! Wheel bearing should adjust, about 30-60 mins Rear diff seal, assume the input flange seal? 20-30 mins.

Reply to
murphwiz