New Defender Engine

i need information about new Defender engine

pajo_gsm

Don't we all. There is nothing official yet. It's likely to be a 4 cylinder ford transit engine with about 155 hp. Be patient.

Reply to
ChavScum

"pajo_gsm" wrote

Well it needs a compliant modern engine to meet emissions laws.

All I can find is this article on Autocar's web site... ___________________________

Land Rover has announced it will freshen its classic Defender for 2007.

Changes will include a new diesel engine, improvements to heating and ventilation and an upgraded interior.

The iconic car is to be produced until at least 2010. At that point emissions legislation gets tougher, though Land Rover says it is investigating ways of extending the Defender's production beyond that date.

Crash protection and pedestrian impact legislation has no effect on the Defender as it is classified as a light commercial vehicle.

750 Solihull jobs depend on the Defender; Land Rover sells around 25,000 of them a year. It estimates that two thirds of the 1.8 million examples of the Defender and its predecessors that it has sold are still in use. _____________________________

Which doesn't help you much. I seem to remember a small article in the Mag some time ago saying what it was to be but can't remember.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I'll stick my neck and say that knowing Fords commonality policies of old at least some of the Defenders will get

what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to sell to the military I don't expect the TD5 will be it ( unless BMW start giving them away cheap) Ford have interests a large basket of companies with diesel production Mazda, Volvo, Mercury, Jaguar, Lincoln and Land rover with those options sooner or later they will stop buying in or making under licence.Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote

> what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to sell > to the military I don't expect the TD5 will be it ( unless BMW start > giving them away cheap) Ford have interests a large basket of companies > with diesel production Mazda, Volvo, Mercury, Jaguar, Lincoln and Land > rover with those options sooner or later they will stop buying in or > making under licence. The TD V6 rings a bell. Ford want to use their own modern engines.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to sell> to the military I don't expect the TD5 will be it ( unless BMW start> giving them away cheap) Ford have interests a large basket of companies> with diesel production Mazda, Volvo, Mercury, Jaguar, Lincoln and Land> rover with those options sooner or later they will stop buying in or> making under licence. Derek The TD5 is definitely history - does not meet the next emission standards, and since it is only used in Landrovers is not worth the investment to make it do so, with, as you point out, all the other diesel engines Ford has available. Nothing to do with BMW though, as it is a pre-BMW design. JD

Reply to
JD

> what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to >> sell

Reply to
Dad

> what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to >> sell

I had assumed that BMW had retained the licence for the TD5 as it was introduced after the BMW takeover in '94 when it was still a project under development along with the 6cyl both drived from the Rover L series which didn't make it into the Rangie P38a instead they put on a BMW unit the 6 cyl fitted to various BMWs now that poses a question- when was the decision made to fit the BMW diesel in the P38a? it seems too close to the takeover to have not been premeditated . Derek

Reply to
Derek

>> what the cooking version will be god only knows but if they intend to>>> sell

No reason for BMW to have retained the licence - it has never been used in non-Landrover products, and as far as BMW goes it is "Not Invented Here", and being designed specifically for offroad use has no attraction for them. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:34:05 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

There was, originally, going to be a TD6 and a TD4 based on the TD5 pistons etc. using common parts such as pistons, injectors, liners and so forth. Hence (partly) I think the unit injector thing when everyone else was going into common-rail. Of course the TD4 and TD6 never happened because BMW came into the picture and already had good 4 and 6-cylinder diesels to fit to the freeloader and rangie respectively.

Mind, IMHO LR got it wrong - they should have planned the TD4 using the dimensions of the TDi, at 2.5l, then the TD5 would have been about 3.1l and the TD6 about 3.8l, which would have been very much more credible in the size and weight of vehicle they fitted 'em (or intended to fit 'em) to. LR have a long tradition of underpowered motors though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

For the previous twenty years or so Landrover limited the size of the engines to 2.5l to meet some export markets (I think specifically Italy) punitive taxation on engines above that size. While perhaps understandable from the European perspective it went a long way towards losing the Australian market, although the 3.9 Isuzu helped slow this loss from the end of the seventies until 1990. Actually once you start turbocharging the engine, particularly with an intercooler, the actual displacement becomes less significant. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:43:38 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

true, but you can use less boost on a larger engine and still get the results, and it allows the option of upping the power if you want or need to

- as for example the Di transits: they sold 'em with no turbo, with a turbo but no intercooling, and with both. 70, 85 and 100 BHP respectively.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Of course, but at least in theory, once you allow boost in a diesel the actual displacement capacity is irrelevant, and the bigger turbocharger is lighter and smaller than increasing the overall size of the engine. Of course, the structural strength and rigidity of the engine gets harder and harder to keep high enough as you increase power for a given size, and all sorts of problems such as cooling and durability arise. First time I ran across this effect was in the sixties, where the only difference between the engines in a IH TD25 and 30 bulldozer was the turbocharger. JD

Reply to
JD