Defender Doors - Glassfibre/Fibreglass

Hi all and a Happy New Year (don't think I have been on since December!)

I was inspecting my door bottoms today (my 1988 110 CSW is fitted with those special 'invisible' ones with the rust coloured edges).

This, and pondering the cost and time involved in replacing the bottom rails of the frames, led me to wondering whether anyone had ever seen any glassfibre doors offered for sale for the 90/110/Defender?

Surely this would be a great aftermarket accessory with wide appeal? Anyone seen any?

Chris

1988 110 CSW 'Veggie'
Reply to
goforgood

goforgood uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to
Dr_D

goforgood uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Not seen any , but I do know a chap who works next door to a place that makes fibreglass stuff.... They still there Richard? It was not very fibreglass pongy yesterday.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

You couldn't make the whole door from glassfibre, it would still require a steel frame. I suppose you could fit a glass fibre skin to the original door frame, but as that would be largely flat you might as well buy some flat sheets, a pot of resin, some fibre matting and make your own using the original ally panel as a mould to get the shoulder curve right. All you need then is to glue it onto the frame using a suitable epoxy bond.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

if you go to

they list abs door skins - thus eliminating the rust/corrosion problem

Reply to
ross grant

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

They come and go! Unfortunately they are not the sort of people who would be interested in a Good Idea. Got a beady eye on their unit though! A glassfibre door sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it could be made rigid enough, but fixing the channels etc could be tricky (i.e expensive). Not sure what insurers would make of them either?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

any other units empty near you?. I'm after somewhere for a couple of months to do up a couple of my fleet (got a project in storage too) so that I can sell them and downsize a bit.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You could ring Stuart and ask - he's completely barking but an excellent landlord.

Send a mail and I'll give you his number.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Must be the name.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I'm sorry? £350? I bought my last CAR for less than that, and it came with MOT and 3 months tax

Alex

Reply to
Alex