Defender speakers.

Apologies if this has been covered recently, but here goes...

My 1995 Defender 110 CSW front speakers are clapped out and I wonder what the best replacements would be?

They'll need to fit into the same position as the old ones with no modification of the dash.

The head unit is the original Blaupunkt (?) although this will be upgraded soonish.../

Thanks in advance for any info ;-)

David.

Reply to
David Sillitoe

G'day Dave...

I recently pulled out the original tape/tuner put a CD/Tuner unit into my

1997 Defender 110. ( a bit of a 'fiddle' sorting the wires but I got _exact_ advice right from this group!!!) While I put a pair of large oval three ways into the back corners, I wanted the speakers in the front under-dash-corners to virtually replace the 'originals'......... a pair of "Sony 6" two ways fitted well, though I made my own spacing-collars as the 'originals' were just plastic crap and just a little 'undersize'. No 'dash modification' was necessary.

Got Total "Sound" now. I sit 'within' it!!!!

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

LR's own. They sell them as a kit, comes in about 50 quid. Your problem with fitting aftermarket speakers is that there isn't much room behind the n/s speaker (wiper motor interferes) so you need very shallow speakers.

It's either that or you make up some kind of spacers for other speakers.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

I had a pair of Pioneer 2-way speakers recommended by my local (sensible) ICE dealer - these mount in the original location with no spacers required.

Combined with an Alpine subwoofer mounted in the back and a pair of tweeters mounted through the top of the dash the sound is most un-Defender like (and un-Range Rover like, too, for that matter).

Reply to
David Willerton

There is a pretty huge range of speakers available from electronics companies rather the hifi or car audio places. Generally less than a tenner each...

What size, shape, fixing centers and depth are we looking for? ISTR someone mentioning 6" round so CPCs LS00992 (=A36.76 + VAT) might do, 79= mm deep or LS00468 (=A33.88 + VAT) 55mm deep but only 12W RMS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice