Did we win or not?

Seems to say we won, except the last paragraph seems to say that Land Rover owners didn't...

Reply to
William Black

Well, it says there are no plans under "immediate consideration", but says individual authorities are free to limit use in their own juristiction, similar to the US where vehicle controls are very tight in some states, even to the extent of not allowing private military vehicle ownership in some states. The cut-off date for the LEZ being

1st jan 1973 also rules out my pinz, but that's petrol anyway so isn't affected. Hopefully the local authorities won't get too power-happy in various cities and counties but goose-stepping is still a threat, justified by giving the jack boots a coat of green paint.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Bout time they moved that bloody 1973 limit up a few years. Surely it's now time, they can't seriously say that a 35yr old vehicle is a classic where a 33yr old one isn't.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

Personally I think anything I own should be instantly declared a classic, no matter how old it is.

Having said that, in over 200 cars owned, I've /never/ owned one that qualified for free road tax. Not one. Somewhat irritating when I've owned a few 30 year old cars, but not had a pre-73 since '90.

So, I think we should petition the government to give free road tax to anyone called Peter who owns a Range Rover or two. Might as well, they'll ignore it in the same way they ignore all the other ones.

This "Don't ban old cars" one seemed pretty pointless to me as I didn't know of any impending plans to realistically do such a thing anyway, although Red Ken is/was probably planning to do exactly that whether the government likes it or not.

Having said that, the recent and remarkably sensible Emissions Zone setup in Germany means a pre '91 Range Rover can't be taken into Berlin city centre unless the owner wants to pay a ?25 fine or converts it to LPG. I'm pretty sure that Red Ken would easily manage to make that ?2500 a day, given half the chance, and he'd ignore the LPG concession.

Reply to
Pete M