Disco 3 on the telly.

Just been watching Clarkson drive it up a scottish mountain. Impressive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Frankly I'm disappointed. Most of Land Rovers coil-sprung offerings could have done that - we'll excuse the Freelander!

As for his off-road skills, I'm not sure that he has any. It's almost as though he deliberately got sucked towards the wet bits that any competent person intending to succeed in this task would have avoided like the plague.

Pity that the editing didn't really show the vehicle doing its stuff.

David

Reply to
Dougal

In that part of the world it's very difficult to avoid the wet bits - it's peat bog country.

And he admitted that he's the worlds worst offroad driver - and who am I to disagree.

They should have let Hammond test the D3 - he at least seems to have a clue.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Impressive.

At least Hammond is a well documented gren oval lover!

To be honest, looking at that piece tonight, I want to see the film of the descent - afterall - nose pointing to the clear blue isnt scary, falling onto your seatbelt cos you're on the way down at a very sharp angle - now that would be well worth seeing with Clarkson at the helm

Si

Reply to
Si K

And he's a Landrover Enthusiast as well.

Yeah he could have taken it round the same course he drove the Bowler round in the last series. At the same speed. I'd like to see the D3 after that.....

Let's face it, the D3 is more likely to be driven by Clarkson types (middle aged, money, kids, chelsea flat, furthest offroad is the verge) than an enthusiast, so Clarkson's probably better placed to assess it

Alex

Reply to
Alex

So if a plonker like him can do it !!!!!!!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

I read Ray Mears write up of the LR3 a few weeks back (The Times was it?). Id personally take his word for it. He rated it against his 90 and said it compared. Thats all I needed to know!

Toss up now is. 2nd Hand TD6 Rangie, LR3, or maybe price pending, the baby rangie?

The LR3 seams to have it on off road ability (and the fact its 3-4 years newer in design), but will it have the Qdos when ever other bugger is driving on in 6 months time?

Wheres that bloody Lottery ticket?

Tim

Reply to
Someone

Well, for my money I'd buy the 2nd hand Rangie. It's more likely to have had any nasty faults found already.

As lovely as the LR3 may be, it's still a brand new Land Rover and I've sworn off them since causing every recall in the first 3 years of the TD5 Discos life. Same goes for whatever the Range Stormer turns into.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Impressive .. but it still remains an ugly car.

Reply to
Me

On or around Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:13:03 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

to be fair, he did say at one point that he's crap at driving off-road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Alex blithered:

Sad but True!!

Reply to
GbH

Clarkson: "Have I damaged the trim"

Recovery bod: "Yes, you caught it on the heather"

Same build quality as any other landie, then.

Reply to
Mother

Agreed on all but one point:

Clarkson doesn't live in a Chelsea flat. His house has been shown on a few programmes, notably on the episode of Speed (or whatever it was called) where he had that Lightning parked on his front lawn as a gate guard....

Reply to
Torak

He lives somewhere in the Cotswolds, Chipping something IIRC. Ah yes the Lightning.....I seem to remember Mrs Clarkson being less than happy about the 3 bloody big trenches the wheels made in her nice looking lawn!!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Best quote came from Charlotte...

"It needs a computer to put it into difflock and low ratio? Could be handy for someone stuck on a particularly damp soft verge outside Sainsburys".

Reply to
Mother

well i agree with everyone here.....

but i must admit. ive test driven the disco 3.... its an awsome drive........ and hadles well of road as well... but the idot proof thingy. how annoying!!! i want low range 2nd gear and it f**cking insiting on highrange 1st..... at least with the good old defender thats what you get!!!

and how ugly is it!!! i want discovery not the results of mummy disco and daddy rangie!

maybe most of that is just me but all the guys [and girls, yes girls interested in landrovers - perfect combination ;o) ] seems to be that waya as well

Reply to
mattyjenks

So Mother" handy for someone stuck on a particularly damp soft verge outside

Saw one on the road on Sunday. It wasn't until it had gone past that I realised what it was - I just thought what a fecking ugly van. Strangely, it looked better on telly.

I liked the bit where he first turned off the tarmac onto that slope. See his n/s rear wheel hop in the air? If that was Clarkson driving (debatable) it must have been a bit of a brown trouser moment for him.

Reply to
Richard Brookman