Disco vibration under load/acceleration

Hi guys.

I've got an odd problem at the moment on my Disco, which started at the same time as I noticed a hole in the exhaust where the bracket behind the second box had worn through the pipe, but I guess the two problems are unrelated.

When I accelerate, I get a heavy vibration shaking the entire vehicle, it's worse in 4th/5th and it's exacerbated by increasing the load on the engine such as going uphill or accelerating harder. It stops as soon as I ease off on the accelerator. It almost feels as though a wheel of some sort is out of balance and is wobbling while turning, but it's incredibly forceful, and the engine feels like it's working hard and getting nowhere - it's almost like some kind of harmonic.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
aled.treharne

I had similar when my prop shaft UJs were shot, causing the prop shaft to wobble around especially when it was being twisted hard, e.g. when going uphill or accelerating. Also not quite so bad but still there when using severe engine braking, e.g. down a steep hill.

Pop underneath with a pry bar and shove it in the prop shaft UJs for both front and rear and give them a bit of a levering to see if they move much more than a millimeter. It's fiddly but easy to fix, I had a hard time getting the needle bearings back on without dislodging them even when I packed it all with grease, but managed it in the end.

I'd suggest you check this first as it's easy to check, if it's not prop shafts then it's probably something hard to find and expensive ;-)

While you're under there, have a prod around and see if anything else looks out of kilter.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Forgot to mention, prop shaft issues can also be down to prop shaft imbalance, e.g. if you've clouted them while off-roading or have been having this shaking problem for a long time without correcting it. It can also be down to the sliding section of the prop shaft not sliding any more due to insufficient lubrication. There's probably other things that you can do to the shafts, humans are an ingenious lot ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If they visibly move is closer to the correct tolerance - any UJ that moves a mm is well overdue for replacement.

Reply to
EMB

Indeed. Also worth checking engine and gearbox mounting rubbers while you're at it, if a mount splits you will experience similar vibes. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

If it turns out to be a problem related to unbalanced propshaft may I suggest you contact Scorpion Racing and ask about the active balancer they will be introducing very shortly?

I have had those fitted to several vehicles here in Greece with vibration related problems coming from their propshafts (even on vehicles with +2" suspension lift) and they did a very good job on cancelling the vibrations.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos