Discovery 1 repace suspension

Hi all, thank for advice received so far, it really helps.

Next job, suspension.

I want to replace the springs and shock absorbers on my 1995 3.9 V8iES and would appreciate advice on what to fit and where to get it from.

Given my grossly inexperienced status it seems sensible to buy a "kit" including bushes, nuts and bolts etc.

I am aware of "polybushes" but don't really know what they are.

Confidence and understanding of my Discovery is growing now that my 16 year old son and I have given the old Disco a better service than it has probably ever had so while we are still bursting with pride and enthusiasm we want to tackle the suspension.

One last thing.... I tow a trailer weighing 2 tons a lot of the time so need uprated suspension at the back.

Thanks

Les

Reply to
Dadio

First off - Polybushes...... Some swear by them, some at them. One thing is for sure though, they are a hell of a lot easier to fit! There are various different "strengths", going from "confort" to original reds - which some say are a bit hard for normal driving. There are also Britpart Black comfort sets, which are a lot cheaper (seem to work ok though). It's worth bearing in mind that everyone will claim that fitting (for the first time) Polybushes "transforms their vehicle", but then fitting *any* new bushes would do that!

I'd venture that a pair of heavy-duty "standard" rear springs are a good bet for regular towing of 2 tons. These don't make too much difference to normal driving but can help the back to stop sagging. If you don't mind the handling becoming a rather harsher than standard then Britpart Yellow Medium Duty rear springs provide a good solution for towing (particularly if the trailer tends to be a bit nose-heavy, or the vehicle is loaded in the back as well). These springs have exactly the same spec. as the near legendary Old Man Emu springs, but are a lot cheaper. We sell a lot of these to farmers/horesy types.

Well, thats something for you to think about anyway.......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hmmm.... I think so, but then I am not sure. I have a feeling that NTL are not displaying the full and up-to-date contents of the alt.fan.landrover newsgroup and also that postings via NTL sometimes either take a long time to get through or simply vanish.

I shall try a different news server and see if that resolves the problem.

Unfortunately the better news servers need to be paid for and money out is a bit of an issue. A fiver a month or more on top of the normal broadband connection just for a news feed is a bit nasty.

Les

Reply to
Dadio

Hi Les, What do NTL charge anyway ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In message , Dadio writes

IIRC news.individual.net is 10 euro/year if cost's an issue.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

-snip

I second the motion for news.individual.net. £5/year OK for you?

Whilst I understand that you expect the news service from NTL to be good enough, it actually takes large resources to host newsgroups (especially if that includes binaries). The only ones that actually work well usually are those that are farmed out to the corporate news services. I use Usenetserver for binaries and news.indiviual.net for text. I gave up on BT (my ISP) news servers years ago. Demon were the only ISP who's news service was OK and that was many years ago.

Reply to
Danny

Les, Out of interest, do your outgoing postings appear on Google Groups.,

Reply to
Steve Taylor