Discovery TD5 - Comments on High Mileage..

Hi all,

I've been offered a 1999 Discovery GS for £6500. Yes, there is a slight catch.....it's covered 155,000 miles.

It's has a full main LR Dealer history up to 96,000 and then it's been looked at by one garage who deals in LR's all the time. It drives really nice and the bodywork only has few chips on the bonnet. It's spent most of it's life up and down the M1/M6 from London to Blackburn delivering clocks - it hasn't towed anything. Interior has a few suffs in the back but nothing I can't live with.

What does the group think? I'm really tempted at the price but would like to know if anyone else has any experience of high mileage TD5's ? I've got a '96 300TDi ES at the moment and I reckon I can sell that for near enough what I'd pay for this TD5.

Cheers, Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

I had a 1998 (first of them) TD5 that had over 140k on the clock by the time I got rid of it at 3 years old.

Not too bad however I had problems with the hubs developing oil leaks and contaminating the brakes, the ABS sensors getting iron filing contamination, all of the brake disks needing replaced and the nearside front calliper acting up very badly and needing replaced.

The transfer box rear seal had problems, but then again it had problems at

6k miles, so no change there.

The electronics can be *very* dodgy on the early TD5s - I caused most of the saftey recalls in the first 3 years of the model life due to some issues with the ATC.

Take the reg to the nearest dealer and make sure that the car has had all of the recalls done.

That I can remember there was a recall for a faulty ABS ECU, poor materials in the flywheel and a couple of other ones I never got to the bottom of. If it has missed any of these recalls then I'd suggest walking away from it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Anyone...... ?

[...]

Come on guys, someone must know something about TD5's with high mileage... :-)

Reply to
Gavin

They do, which is why you have had replies. Can you not see them?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hmm, have there been many replies then? I have only seen the OP's, yours and one other.

Is there summat up with individual.net?

Reply to
Simon Barr

I've known similar problems with other .uk newsgroups. Chains of articles not appearing for no obvious reason. That's the main reason I don't rely on it as my main source. It's there for if another news server undergoes a mammary reorientation event.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I have three copies of the OP and two identical responses from Paul Brown (the second apparently in response to the OP's repost, IYSWIM).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I can only see one reply from Paul.

I have been using Individual.net for quite a while now with no problems at all so I suppose I can forgive them this one slip up :-)

Reply to
Simon Barr

Apologies folks but it looks like I have a problem with the thread as I can't see any of the original replies. All I can see is the comments from Tim.

Could some post the thread for me under their Id?

Anyone know what's going on...Oh gawd here we go ago ;-(..........

cheers Gavin

Reply to
Gavin