Does anyone have a photo of the idle air valve in place?

I've looked on my 3.5 L-Jet rangie, to try and locate it as I'm getting some idle issue. But I can't for the life of me find anything electrical with 3 bolts, anywhere near where it is supposed to be.

Reply to
Elder

Front of plenum, slightly to drivers side. Hose coming in from nearside, "U" shaped hose on outlet turning back into drivers side of plenum near front of that side, leccky plug partially hidden on rear underside of valve, under fuel rail. Qty 2 bolts, 7/16" AF, one at front, other partially hidden at rear. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I thought it was suppposed to be between the plenum and the firewall? OK, that gives me something to look for.

Reply to
Elder

On or around Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:00:26 +0100, Elder enlightened us thusly:

very minor picky point: L-jet is a bosch EFi system. 3.5 Range rovers are fitted with a system which is IIRC confusingly known as "Lucas L", disco

3.5s and 3.9 rangies tend to be Lucas Hotwire.

not a problem here where we all know what you're talking about.

The idle stepper motor on a hotwire one is at the back of the plenum.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah OK, thanks on both points. I've seen it written as Lucas L and noticed the physical similarity with L-Jet and assumed it was a licensed copy. Late 80's/Early 90's Toyotas use a similar flap Air meter and I believe that was licensed.

Reply to
Elder

On or around Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:21:55 +0100, Elder enlightened us thusly:

dunno - might be, I suppose. I've not actually had a bosch one - my ford has the k-jetronic on it, which bears no resemblance to the lucas L - it's mechincal continuous injection with a few electronic bells and whistles.

Seen a merc car from I guess the early 60s at the local garage once which has a 6-cylinder petrol injection engine with an injection pump on it like a diesel one. At first glance you'd think it was a diesel, but it's not.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Think I found it now, and probably won't actually "need" to do anything with it as the source of my knackered idle turned out to the TPS.

It was way out, and I didn't have DVM to set it up, so following the book of lies, I set it roughly half way, and suddenly the way over rich mixture is now within MOT standards (which it passed today).

And the idle corrected itself now, except it is fine at stone cold, and fine when warmed up, but hunts badly for about 10 minutes when idling, while warming up. But it doesn't actually reach the point of either racing or dieing which it was doing.

Next thing is to get a radio in, and sort out the LPG.

Reply to
Elder