Chattering solenoid?

I know this sounds stupid........ but I can't find this thing to save my = life. =20

When I turn the ignition 'on' there is clearly a solenoid chattering in = the middle of the engine, between the engine and firewall. Best I can = tell it's coming from about 6-12 inches down from the top of the engine. = Normally I can use a tube to find these things but this time can't = locate the sucker.

A problem I have this time is I'm just learning this car and can't find = any diagrams showing solenoids. Haynes and Chiltons aren't much help = this time.

I know it's not coming from near the starter solenoid. Anyone know what = other solenoids would be in that area?

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

When I turn the ignition 'on' there is clearly a solenoid chattering in = the middle of the engine, between the engine and firewall. Best I can = tell it's coming from about 6-12 inches down from the top of the engine. = Normally I can use a tube to find these things but this time can't = locate the sucker.

A problem I have this time is I'm just learning this car and can't find = any diagrams showing solenoids. Haynes and Chiltons aren't much help = this time.

I know it's not coming from near the starter solenoid. Anyone know what = other solenoids would be in that area?

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

=3D=3D=3D

Found it - the idle speed stepper motor was chattering. Had to drill = out 3 screws to get it apart. Cleaned it off and seems to work but not = sure. The shop manual says to apply 6vdc to some of the connector pins = and see if it if moves or vibrates. I can barely feel it move every = time I hit a pin with 6v, but no vibration or continuous movement. Same = when terminals swithed. Does this right? I'm guessing that one 6v = pulse from the control unit causes one step in the motor - can't find = that out anywhere and the Mitsubishi place here won't say anything = except "bring it in and we'll test everything for $150".

It would also be nice to know how many steps there are in the motor. No = info from anywhere I could find about this.

Reply to
Guv Bob