Daft fan question

(Yes, I am a daft fan of Land Rovers but that's not what I meant.)

The cooling fan on my 1993 RRC 200DTi is on the whole time, from the second the key is turned. Should it be or should the thermostat switch the fan on and off? Or do I need an after-market Kenlowe type set-up to achieve this? The engine seems to take a long time to warm up, at least six or seven miles... Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Andrew

If it's the belt-driven fan (and not an aftermarket electric one) then it will turn at all times. It has a viscous coupling, and should be more-or-less freewheeling until the engine needs it, but it will *look* as if it's turning all the time. The 200Tdi is noted for running cool, but if you really think that the fan is over-cooling it, it's probably the viscous coupling that has seized. Not urgent, unless you are feeling the cold in this weather :-)

Reply to
Rich B

Yes and to check if it HAS seized - try spinning the fan by hand with the engine OFF obviously!!! It should turn quite easily.

Reply to
Vince

Your description "from the second the key is turned" - which I assume means even before you engage the starter - suggests an electric fan. It sounds as though this fan has no temperature control (not uncommon in 'crude' conversions) or the temperature switch has failed.

Is this the only fan or do you have a belt-driven one, too?

If there is a viscous fan (look for a finned hub immediately behind the belt-driven fan), check earlier threads for this group.

A working viscous fan will run fast/noisily for about 30 seconds after starting the engine and then slow/quieten.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks very much. Irritatingly, my other half has taken the RR to work so I shall have to wait until tonight to check.

Funny, but I have never really been "into" cars in a big way (apart from the 1930 Alvis Silver Eagle tourer which was the family transport when I was young) but I did feel a slight pang as she drove the RR away down the lane... 8-) I shall miss it all day, and the dogs will too since ­ with the rear seats folded ­ it has become their new day-time kennel.

Reply to
Andrew