Driving Dover to Alicante feasability for two weeks ??

Just wondered what the feasability of such a drive would be or would it be possible to train load a 110 to the same place or nearby ??

-- John H

" ..... it is the provenence of knowledge to speak, and it is the privelage of wisdom to listen"

Reply to
Hirsty's

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:13:54 GMT, "Hirsty's" scribbled the following nonsense:

with rest breaks, factor in 24ish hours of driving, HGV's normally reckon on about 36-48 hrs to make the journey with legal rest breaks (2x10hr days, 45 mins rest every 4.5hrs drive, min 9 hr rest break between duty days.... Timed just right, 45 min break could be timed for arrival at the docks....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Emminently do-able 1874 km (approx ) driving time 18 hr 36m ( unrealistic though unless your name is Clarkson and you have a perm ) source

I do those sort of average speeds in the Merc Atego but trust me its not fun, even double manning it would still be a stretch a 3 day touring would sound more sensible I'd be inclined to give Eurostar a bell they do carry cars but the website its near impossible to navigate. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I've recently returned from a similar journey in a normally aspirated Transit, which probably has similar performance to a 110. I traveled from Nottingham to Barcelona, which I found to be just about possible in two days. Shorter alternatives do exist, although hey are considerably more expensive. I looked at the possibility of catching a ferry to Santander/Bilboa, which cuts the distance to Alicante to 500m, however this was about £800. I would suggest using the autoroutes, although they are toll roads the facilities are good, with provision at most of the rest areas for camping. If you would rather stay in a hotel I found the Formula 1 chain to be perfect acceptable if a bit basic, and paid 29 euros for a room that would sleep 2 + a child. Diesel costs are current about 1.20e/litre in France and 1.00/litre in Spain. Steve

Reply to
Steve Poulson