DS Brake caliper saga

Rear RH caliper outer piston does not apply same pressure as inner piston resulting in vehicle pulling to left on braking. Inside of caliper cylinder and sides of old piston showed no signs of wear to me on examination though outer piston was a "tight fit"(this was original problem (and badly worn disc on that side too).) (new pistons and seals to caliper on RH wheel, and new discs to both rear wheels.) Vehicle still pulls to left on braking despite new parts.

Should I bite the bullet and fork out for a new caliper? Do I need to replace LH one at same time? Do these parts come complete with seals and pistons in situ?

Anyone know what part number I need? I have seen:- Rear RH (Late) STC1264#105050 @ £50.40

Rear RH RR,DS RTC5889#105051 @ £90.68

My Disco is :- 94 Discovery 300tdi (reg 20/6/94)

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
John
2 points spring to mind

Firstly it's very unlikely that you will feel a rear brake imbalance as a pulling on the road.

Secondly, unless you're machining both discs and fitting new pads to both sides you'll never be able to tell if the braking is even.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:43:05 +0100, "John" enlightened us thusly:

Changes such as that normally go by chassis number.

It's always advisable to change brake bits on a per-axle basis - in emergency, you can get away with changing things on one side only, but it often leaves you with unbalanced brakes.

Generally, a tight piston is most likely to be something under the seal causing it to not seat fully, and/or a dud piston, which is less likely in your case.

Paddock's list has the following:

RTC5889 Rear Brake Caliper (New) - RH - to 38S44171D and 32S2118B (approx March 1993) 46.50 RTC5890 Rear Brake Caliper (New) - LH - to 38S44171D and 32S2118B (approx March 1993) 46.50 STC1264 Rear Brake Caliper (New) - RH - from 38S44172D and 32S2119B (approx March 1993) 41.50 STC1265 Rear Brake Caliper (New) - LH - from 38S44172D and 32S2119B (approx March 1993) 41.50

Those numbers look like axle numbers, at a guess, which would go with the approximate dates. You're going to have to try and find the number, unless it's possible to tell by looking at the caliper. Your disco is *probably* the STCnnnn type, but not guaranteed to be.

Oddly, the front calipers are listed by VIN, not axle number.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's certainly an option - possibly the easiest

Not if it working ok

Yes - on the whole

The two above are from Axle No. 28S44172D and to Axle No. 28S44171D repectively. I'd guess that uors is the former, but I couldn't be certain.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:14:26 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

Paddock's list has 2 sets of numbers, 38S and 32S series. dunno if they're right, mind... the 38S one matches the serial number you have.

might be that one set are for exports or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thats right - I've just not got them on the system yet!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd