Dynamo to Alternator conversion

I think this was discussed here some time ago but the thread doesn't appear to be archived on my pc, so here goes.

I've got a 1970 S2a with a dynamo (-ve earth) and am thinking about changing it to an alternator. I know how to connect it all up but wondered if there are any pitfalls that I should know about before I start and are there any particular alternators that you lovely peeps would recommend?

TIA Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

It's a long time since I converted one, I used a lucas 18acr but I think any of the later marinelly (sp??) which rover used fit. At the time you could buy a replacement bottom post which simply bolted to one of the timing cover bolt holes, the alternator then bolted on. All the wiring change was to use the field wire and join it to the ignition sense wire at the regulator, swap battery terminals and run two heavy duty wires back to the battery feed at the starter motor. Something about the voltage regulator for the instruments too, cannot remember what.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

With a negative earth 1970 2a there are no pitfalls. (Earlier models with positive earth or an ammeter have a few pitfalls.) JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks guys, gonna put my thinking cap on this weekend and come up with a plan :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG