dynamo to alternator upgrade

Hi everyone I've got an 1963 series 2a petrol negative earth which has still got a dynamo which i want to swap over to an alternator system. Has any one got a list of parts i would need to obtain and a procedure for fitting them.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Splitpin

Are you sure it's negative earth? IIRC 1963 Series were still +ve earth.

Reply to
EMB

Have a search on the web - there's loads of info about the swap, including wiring etc - it's not a difficult job.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You will need an alternator, connecting plug, drive pully, mounting bracket for the mecanical bits. I used a large terminal block for the connections mounted on the bulkhead where the regulator box used to go. With a bit of carful thought you can use the existing wiring loom. I think I used the field connection to the dynamo to operate the ignition light.

HTH

Paul

Reply to
PM

You could, although it's not really heavy enough to cope with the current an alternator puts out.

Reply to
EMB

They were, but it may well have been changed - very simple procedure with the only physical changes being the battery terminals. JD

Reply to
JD

And ammeter connections

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for your help I will start gathering bits

Reply to
B & Z Metalcraft

Yes, of course, thanks for the correction. JD

Reply to
JD

Not much of an issue really the ancillaries will only draw the same current ( unless you go pots for rags and stick a load of spots and stuff on ) the only section of wire that gets an extra load is the connection to the battery so that can easily be upgraded or just put a secondary on. I did a few conversions on early Mini's ( showing his age) and for ease retained the regulator ( can't remember how we did it ) but they could and would expire after a time .Worth looking about for size of drive pulley to use so you're not running the alternator at the wrong speed. Derek Disco TDi200

Reply to
Derek

I also converted a couple of series LRs, IIRC I just bought the alternator mount pillar for the bottom bracket, jumped the charging light straight from regulator to alternator and piggy backed the alternator output to the battery spades on the regulator plus swapped the battery terminals removing the field lead from the regulator.

It was all over twenty years ago now so don't trust my memory!

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I don't trust my memory over twenty minutes ago...

Reply to
Mother

With age comes wisdom and experience but usually I can't remember what the bloody question was! Derek Disco 200TDi

Reply to
Derek

I just put on the smallest diameter pulley I could, as I need more output at low RPM (no such thing as high RPM on a Series anyway) as my need was to ensure power to the Kenlowe fan that comes on when I'm spraying, with the engine doing no more than a fast tickover.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

|| Hi everyone || I've got an 1963 series 2a petrol negative earth || which has still || got a dynamo which i want to swap over to an alternator system. || Has any one got a list of parts i would need to obtain and a || procedure for fitting them. || || Thanks Dave

has a diagram and full instructions, plus a lot else of interest to a S2 owner. Good site and great forum.

Reply to
Richard Brookman