~~~ Say hello to my little friend!!! ~~~

WOOT WOOT!!!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

You don't like the colour ??!!?? I love it.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

travis did pass the time by typing:

Sweet!

Seen the wire clamps before. Never liked them and the regular clamps are easier to work with.

Dunno what that burned hose is taking vacuum to.

Also looks like the previous owner took off the electric choke. Not a big deal but might make starting on cold days a bit hard.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:01:21 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Too late... I'll post pictures tomorrow. ;-)

I haven't even looked yet. Whatever it is, it's putting out some serious power. Of course I'm used to offroading in a '63 VW with 1.2 liter 40 hp engine with 31" truck tires so..... I'll check soon.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Congrats man!

I can't see the photos with Netscape other than some crammed together thumbnails up top.

Looks nice though.

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:01:21 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

I just checked. I saw "304" in pretty big numbers on the block on the passenger side.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

congratulations travis!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Great find! I've been in process of restoring a '76 since early last year and I assusre you, yours is in far better shape than what I started with.

A couple things I noticed. Yes you should have locking hubs. New ones can be sourced from 4wd Hardware (you will likely become first name frinds with them!) The padding above the dash is not original ('76's didn;t have one), nor is the steering wheel, although the one you have is better than the two-spoker that came with it.

Mine has the cool old style tailgate as does yours. I chuckled when I saw your tire mount on the tailgate, as mine had at some point been mounted there before the previous owner tried his unsuccesful hand at fabricating one similar to the later CJ7's.

The later tailgated CJ5s originally had it mounted on the right side rear (looks like someone took yours and just mounted it to the tailgate.) Wider tires make this an impractical spot for the spare, so people have often tried mounting it on the tailgate, which doesn't work either. I looked all over for a good tire carrier that would mount to the bumper. I didn';t want to get one like a Currie or Durango (which I have on my YJ) cause I thought it would look over done. I finally tried the 4WD Hardware spare tire carrier part number 5801, which is a swing-out affair that mounts on the rear crossmember. Unfortunately the 5801 won't work on 76-86 CJ5's with the tailgate, doesn't have enough spacing. They recommended the 5802, which is for the 75 and earlier ones, but it wouldn't mount up to any of the existing bolt holes. I finally had Avalanche Engineering cut thye mounts off and adapt it to the later crossmember. Looks great and got the spare out of the bed.

Feel free to e-maill me with any questions you might have as you go.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Oh, a couple of other things I noticed & can comment on. The shift boots aren't original, you can source new ones from 4WD Hardware, but I'm not sure about the retaining rings that hold them in place. Also, think about a complete rewire of the thing. One of the best things I did was to replace the wiring with a Painless Products kit, took about 12 hours work to install but was worth every minute. (Mine took longer to do because I soldered and heat-shrink wrapped all the terminals.)

As for the gauges, Jeep makes upgraded fuel and temp gauges that are installed into the speedo cluster. Mine were working but really inaccurate (the previous owner replaced the entire cooling system because it would intermittently peg the temp needle....all that was wrong was the gauge!) I'd toss the aftermarket gauges!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

It really is gorgeous. Are you sure you wanna wheel it? Heh KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:06:01 -0600, "Gerald G. McGeorge" shared the following:

I think that is going to be my very first "upgrade" to what I have.

Do you have a pic of how the dash is supposed to look 100% stock? That steering wheel was installed 90 degrees off. I tried to remove it yesterday to orient it correctly, but didn't have a puller and was unable to remove it. :-/

I was able to get mine mounted on the tailgate after using some spacers and larger bolts on the mounting bracket, but it slams and bangs around on the trail and even over some bumps on the road... Unless I can somehow secure it better I don't think I'm going to leave it there for long. One bad thing about it...I had to undo my hitch ball and mount it upside down because there wasn't enough space to put the spare in place with the hitch ball there. So if I want to tow anything I'll have to toss the spare in the rear area of the Jeep and move the hitch ball back to the upright position. Not that I think that I'll be towing much stuff at all, but my current "solution" is just kinda lame.

Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:14:50 -0600, "Gerald G. McGeorge" shared the following:

I'm bidding on a used boot set on ebay right now... :-)

Oh, I am thinking about it. The wiring on this thing is a mess. Windshield wipers aren't working, no light in the speedo, turn signals work when they want to, one brake light works only when it feels like it, temp gauge in speedo cluster reads C all the time, fuel gauge reads E all the time, fan blower motor doesn't work... You get the idea. :-)

I think I'll toss the aftermarket gauges, too. They look cheap and out-of-place. Thanks for your advice.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

No sweat, Travis. Good luck!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

You can't re-clock the steering wheel, it only fits on one way.

The adjustment for centering the steering wheel is called the drag link and it is on the bar from the steering box over to the passenger side hub.

You loosen off the two retaining bolts on the sleeve and use a pipe wrench to turn it. It only takes a little turn to move the steering wheel a bunch.

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You could be describing a dead mesh ground strap from the engine to the firewall.

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:18 -0400, Mike Romain shared the following:

Oh cool! Awesome information, Mike. Thanks so much. I'll take a look at that later today. :-)