eek! well i got me landy

I think it must be the MOST scary thing I have EVER driven.

Initial thoughts are that it needs some TLC.

To recap, its a '79 ex army LWB 2.3 SIII

Things that scare me:

I can't find 1st when I need to, its there, just a long way away.

I can't go from 2nd to 3rd, seems the syncro has gone

I can't go from 4th to 3rd see above

None of the gauges work (ie speedo, fuel, temp. etc)

None of the gauge lights work (so its very dark in the cab)

Its seems excessively SLOW, I know its only a 2.3 Petrol, but really, it seems to be struggling

There is a hell of a lot of noise in the cab, no so much the engine but more of a reverberation possible the transmission / diff ??

There is no rear view mirror (that scares me a lot)

There is no offside mirror (as above)

Its HUGE! I will get used to it but at the moment it seems very big.

Now I know that you may tell me to scrap it (believe me its crossed my mind) but as it was free (hmm wonder why) i though i'd spend a bit on it here and there)

or maybe its a waste of time?

anyone who fancies looking it over for me if your in London please get in touch via my email. I've no money to speak of but I can buy you a pint!

:-)

Reply to
beenie

Has it an MOT? The noise is normal, the gearbox can be lived with, the mirrors will only cost a couple of quid. Do you have brake lights and indicators (that work) - if not a fuse has gone. This also knocks out the gauges. Where in London are you? Jon SIII x 2

Reply to
Jon

Near the Bank of England ? :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

They do take some getting used to, I struggled with the gears at first, especially since I had been driving automatics for over ten years.

I am surprised though that a 79 example should be as bad as that electrically, the electrics are not too difficult to sort out though once you get used to it.

They are noisy, you will get used to that, and things like the doors flapping about at speed (45mph counts as speed)

Reply to
Larry

You got a series 111 to 45 mph - wow !

Andrew (ex series 11A 6 pot, series 111 diesel, Disco 300 tdi and now Disco TD5)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I had 81 out of my 90nad and it still works :O)

Reply to
Jon

In message , Jon writes

Yeh, but your speedo's knackered.

Reply to
hugh

well,,,,,,,i had 90 out of my series2a on the Sheffield parkway, i know it was 90 because ive got a gps based origon b2 speed trap detector, that tells me the actual speed, irrelevant of what diffs,tyres,gearbox or anything else i have on it.

2.8 n/a diahatsu engine. 235x85x16 tyres. 3.5 diffs. overdrive and nerves of cast iron.

i knew it was time to slow down when the wings stared peeling back. and the fact that the traffic lights were only 100yds away. but what a rush.

my first gear is somewhere near the passengers door top. second near my left hip. third pressing hard against the lower dash and fourth is in my nether regions, and i can only access reverse when i have a passenger to help. but other than that i think its an obsolute darling.

andy

Reply to
Andy

If you are going at such a speed that you can actually draw your head far enough forward to see any kind of speed indication device your not trying hard enough. ;-)

Adrenalin is brown! Chequreplate floors and easy wipe seats are a must in a

4.2 Jaguar engined, 3 speed auto,1964 SIIa. (Percy for the uninitiated)

If any one sees any Parachutes at Biling give me a call on the Mobi.

Lee D

PS... on a serious note...don't try this at home kids..it's all done in the name of entertainment only.

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Sounds like a pretty well preserved example!

Welcome to the world of landrovers, Enjoy!

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around 15 Jul 2004 05:38:16 -0700, a_temp snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (beenie) enlightened us thusly:

all sounds about normal. I give you 3 months, you'll have either sold it in disgust or be hooked for life.

there's a switch for the panel lights, BTW.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:07:50 +0100, "Jon" enlightened us thusly:

I had a standard series II SWB 2¼ petrol and could get it up to what would have been about 77 on the clock, if the numbers hadn't stopped at 70.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

yes.. all the till AUG 04 !!!

;-)

yes.. sorting that asap

all exterior lights work other than drivers side headlamp. will be taking that out an looking for a replacement, is it a sealed beam? or can i get a bulb?

SE

thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, 2nd time i drove was not as bad as the 1st but this time it did start to smoke at the front, time to check oil, water etc.

it think this could be fun!

thanks

Reply to
beenie

Result!

Sealed beam.

Try AutoPost in Balham (Zenith Road??)

How SE (Beckenham, Catford OR Selhurst areas)???

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yeah that was not on the original engine was it so that is cheating, a bit like strapping a rocket pack to your back as you pedal down a dual carriage way on a sit up and beg delivery bike.

Reply to
Larry

Talking of switches, I thought 30+ quid for a replacement for the stalk, stuff it, and then why bother with a used example as how do I know it is any better than mine. No the dip switch is now located under the dash and will stay that way.

Reply to
Larry

err.. nope i've taken it out and i need a 24v 50/50 bulb...

catford is good!

24v is proving hard...

???

thanks.

Reply to
beenie

Lorry headlight bulb - find a local lorry repair place.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson