Engine Breathers

Hi,

Having solved the recent starting problem on my 90 (it was a very corroded terminal on starter motor which broke off - now have re-con one and starting transformed!!) I am turning my attention to the engine.

Local expert says it's 'breathy' engine. It has done over

110k miles. Oil in the air filter and coming through the rocker box gasket.

I've bypassed the rocker breather with a length of pipe which has helped a little . What I need is information on where I will find any other breathers that may be blocked and contributing to the problem.

It's a 2.5 NA 12J engine.

Any hints please?

Kind regards,

Richard

Reply to
Richard

A repower/reconditioned engine. Treating the symptoms, not the problem is never a particularly wise idea.

Reply to
EMB

I am considering the option of engine re-build or replacement. However, I wanted to make sure that I had checked everything first before going ahead.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In article , Richard writes

Is this a TD? Mine is just the same. I've been quoted about 600 for a hone, new rings and main bearings. It's a bit too much (but it would be nice not to have to DIY it for a change). I'm shopping around ATM.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk...

Mine is normally aspirated. I've not had any quotes yet but anything up to £k1 for the job has been discussed.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Change the oil for a good quality high-spec 15W/40 diesel oil. Anything from the major brands should do - see if this settles it down.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking back through old posts I found that this was a successful option in a few cases.

It's the fuel tank first though. Filled up with a full tank and highlighted a large hole. Bought a new one yesterday and am now going to hammerite it to death!

Kind regards,

Richard

Reply to
Richard