Engine Heaters (Whats Involved?)

I will be taking my newly acquired 04 Disco to New England. I will be parking it outside and it will be in really cold weather as you can probably imagine.

What are engine block heaters and what is involved. I will have probably no access to an electrical outlet if it is required. Also, what cold weather stuff for the car would you guys recommend as well? Car Cover for hail??

Thanks for the input, Dylan

Reply to
Dylan

There are 2 kinds of block preheaters, mains ones then diesel ones. The mains ones are better priced, £200ish compared to £800+ in the UK, although obviously less effective far from a plug. Kenlowe + others make mains ones I think, Eberspacher [Espar in the states] + others make diesel-operated ones.

The diesel kind involve making a fuel feed for the preheater too, so really the mains kind are the ones you should look at [a mere few wires + plumbing the pump/heater into the coolant circuit], unless you need the autonomy.

There are tank/fuel system preheaters too, for paraffin crystals in the diesel, although most winter diesel at the pumps in cold areas should avoid clogging filters with crystals at most typical levels of the mercury.

Reply to
Mark

I think discos of that age are already fitted with an erberspacher heater, to warm the engine up quicker. All you need to do is attach a control unit so it can be controlled while the engine is off. Someone will be along any time now to tell you exactly how its done!

Reply to
SimonJ

Webasto or Eberspacher everytime!!! Your Disco, like mine is completely independant to achieve a hot start. I installed mine with a 7 day timer and also the remote kit, it switches the unit on for an hour then switches off. So as long as you have diesel and a decent battery, it will work every time.

Reply to
Ali

But I have just regular gas not diesal.

Reply to
Dylan

'But I have just regular gas not diesal.'

There are gasoline/petrol models out there too, not as common as their diesel brothers tho.

Ali

Reply to
Ali