Totally knackered (that time of year)

Not sure whether that is me or my landie

Anyway it is close to *that* time of the year and so she is an MOT failure, apparantly there is sommat up with one of the brake cylinders (well that would explain the uneven braking, pulls to one side and then the next) the steering needs sorting (really?) and the unexpected bit more welding on the chassis, cos she has been getting a bit of punishment there (maybe that explains the lean I was complaining about a while ago)

then the non MOT bits like a CV joint about to go (but I suspected that)

Oh and I forgot the exhaust, but then most people do, I prefer to cut a bit of aluminium can out and hold it on with jubilee clips for as long as that will last cos it is a terrible waste sticking a new pipe on when its only going to rust :)

Fun isn't it. But it is all going to be sorted, cos landies live for ever (well series landies at least :)

Reply to
Larry

Mine has failed before now for knackered UJ's in the props. Wonder why yours didnt (somebody was either being too keen or too lax!)

and on a side note, can the UJ, such as found in a LR prop shaft be called a CV joint?, or is this incorrect?. I was under the impression that a CV joint had more freedom of movement than a normal UJ?

Reply to
Tom Woods

No, it cannot be called a CV joint (well it can, but its wrong). Landrovers (Series and 90/110 anyway) except Stage 1 have simple Hooke type universal joints at all positions on the prop shafts, and the same for the front drive axles (except for Stage 1 and very early Series 1). The problem with these simple U-joints is that when operating through an angle the angular velocity changes during each turn of the shaft. In most prop shaft installations this does not matter, as it can be evened out simply by having the diff and gearbox shafts parallel (so the angles at each end are the same) and arranging the joints at each end so that the velocity changes cancel out. On the drive axles on the front axle, there is only one joint each side, so the velocity changes do not cancel out. On Stage 1 and 90/110 there is also a problem with the front prop shaft because the nose of the diff has to be angled up to clear the track rod, so the angle on the two joints is not the same. Constant velocity joints come in a variety of types, and greatly reduce or eliminate the change in angular velocity with each turn when operating through an angle. With constant four wheel drive (or front wheel drive) they are considered necessary to prevent unpleasant kick back through the steering.

There are three types that are or have been used in Landrovers. The front drive axles of early Series 1 used Tracta joints (with a large grooved ball) as they were constant four wheel drive, and Range Rovers, Discoveries, 90/110 and Freelanders use Rzeppa type joints with a number of small balls, a bit like a ball race, as do most modern front wheel drive cars. In addition, Range Rovers, Discoveries and Stage 1 S3 use a double Hooke joint at the rear of the front prop shaft.

CV joints do not have a greater useable angle than Hooke joints, the maximum angle depends on the design of the joint in both cases, but where the prop shaft angles are not equal at each end, the larger the deflection the more necessary CV joints become. 90/110 really should have a CV joint at the rear of the front prop shaft, but they get awau with a Hooke joint by setting the joints at each end of the shaft out of phase. JD

Reply to
JD

Mebbee I was thinking of the noise that the CV joints in my ford made when they were on the blink and linking that with the similar clonking in the landie.

Reply to
Larry

Somebody was being too keen, propshafts aren't part of the MOT.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

They are if it's got a cardon shaft handbrake (a la Landy) as they are then a fundamental part of the braking system.

Reply to
EMB

I'm quite happy for it to fail on em too since i don't especially want to drive around on knackered props!

Reply to
Tom Woods