Expansion tank - high pressure

Immediately after starting the engine, coolant spurts out of the expansion tank of my 110 TD5. Can you think of any reason why this happens?

I had a breakdown this weekend due to overheating. I have subsequently drained the cooling system, flushed it and tested the thermostat. Don't know what to check next. Any ideas?

Reply to
Uli

Sounds as though it's overpressuring, probably due to a head gasket failure at a rough guess. Get a compression test done on it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Could also be a blockage in the coolant system possibly? After the overheating up to the point that the head started smoking (as per previous posts) then head gasket or head warp would probably be it!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I also suspect a blockage. As there is no moisture on the dipstick and the exhaust, can the head gasket be ruled out?

Reply to
Uli

Unfortunately not, all it needs is a combustion leak to a waterway and you have your fault/symptoms. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Ok - I get what you are saying. Now I have to wait two blooming weeks to get the Landy into the workshop. Thanks all for your input, Uli

Reply to
Uli