Fan belt noise - water pump?

I see from previous posts that a screeching fan belt is symptomatic of a partially seized water pump. What's the easiest way to confirm this as the cause of the noise? Do I have to remove the belt and try turning the pump pulley? How will I know what is a normal amount of resistance? Thanks. __ John, London Series 3 Station Wagon

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

Screeching fan belts are more often than not the result of being slack, or possibly very worn, or both!

Series water pumps usually announce their iminent demise by leaking water out of the small hole in the casting where the spindle goes.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

For a start, with the engine running (and the belt correctly tensioned!) dribble a little water onto the belt - if the noise dies buy a new belt and make sure the pulleys are clean ... much easier fix than the water pump!

Mine started to scream again after a while so I resorted to a tin of belt dressing from the local agri merchants - quick squirt once every month or so does the trick.

Reply to
AJG

Ta Richard,

Presumably therefore also > Series water pumps usually announce their iminent demise by

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

That would certainly be likely - though I'd expect you'd see water comming out of the end of the spindle as well if it's really going down quickly. Assuming you have anti-freeze in, look for blue(ish) staining around the pump.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Phew, false alarm - new fanbelt did the trick I think. Low water must have just been the heatwave. Thanks chaps. Now, if I could just get that starter motor sorted...

Reply to
ChelseaTractor