Re: Ford 460, water pump, fan clutch

This is a perfect time to invest in a pneumatic impact wrench.

Looking at replacing water pump on a 1996 Crown Vic, 460 engine. > > Fan clutch screws onto water pump as if it were a single large bolt. > > Question, how do I hold water pump still so I can "unbolt" the > fan clutch? Leaving belt tension on the pulley doesn't seem to > be enough, and I don't see the small bolts attaching the belt > pulley to be a match for the 36mm size clutch "bolt". > > Hmmm... maybe get some longer sacrificial bolts into the > pulley holes... > > Any other/better ideas? > > Thanks, > Lowell > > >
Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

i think u mean 4.6 right? no 460 in a 96 cv. ask your local auto parts store for a free loaner fan clutch wrench. whack it with a hammer clockwise to remove.

Reply to
Rondo

This turned out to be the solution. Parts store had loaner package of both "fan clutch wrench" and a larger wrench that spanned all

4 bolts on the belt pulley.

Easiest water pump I've ever replaced, so far as water pumps go. No broken bits, no extra pieces, and drained out more antifreeze than I could put back. :)

Lowell

Reply to
Nobody