Fourteen year old driver - where can they drive?

Hi everyone, hope you all had great Christmas

Due to some problems in the family, we are taking care of our fourteen years old nephew. It is my job to keep him entertained, so he does not get home sick just yet.

He is very much into driving and keeps begging me to let him try to drive, which of course i cannot allow on the road. But what about off-road? Can fourteen year old legally drive the car off-road?

If yes, can anyone suggest places to go in or near Warwickshire? We are not looking for anything complicated or challenging - just a track would be fine.

Help would be greatly appreciated. It is almost a month I am promising him to take him for driving and failed to find an appropriate site

Thank you

Reply to
Lev

I am tempted to reply on my housing estate, you don't seem to need a licence to drive on or off road round here, particularly with a quad bike .

Reply to
Larry

Reply to
Lev

On private land I don't think there is any age restriction. Insurance might be more of a problem, that is assuming you (and I mean you, personally/financially) need insurance to pay for any damage to third parties, property or the vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He can drive on private land, but probably not on a 4x4 course, because most of them make you present a licence.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Thank you.

I wonder if there are people who will let you drive on their private land, assuming for a fee.

And what about byways? Can he drive there?

Thanks

steve wrote:

Reply to
Lev

You might be able to ask a local farmer if you can tootle about in his paddock, making it plain that you're not going to be doughnutting, just beginning his introduction to the world of cars.

No, a byway has the same status as a road, you have to be taxed, insured, MOTed and hold a legal license.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There used to be an old runway near here that you could drive around on. I spent a couple of afternoons driving up and down it just before i started learning to drive. Great for getting the hang of gear changing! It was near swynnerton I think so was probably military. No idea if it still exists or if there is anything like it now. It was really useful. I remember sharing it with 3 or 4 other learners so it must have been quite well known.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Did that in the 101. It was great fun. The farmer was a mates fathers friend. His son (who i think was 15 or so) came with me and we were both having fun driving the ambi around with the siren on! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

That the one the RAF crashed a plane carrying a Nuke on several years back? Did you notice an absence of birds in the area?

I know or quite a few such routes in Swynerton which I've spent many a happy hour charging around on and getting petrol bombed. Now many of them are under about 60 foot of landfill. a Few others remain on MOD land but as for the runway you can't mention that unless you wish to be probed in the middle of the night and witness ...oh speak of the devil... that black helicopt

Reply to
Lee_D

It was 97 when i learnt to drive so they might have nuked it since :) I dont recall any wildlife but perhaps my gear changes were a bit rough and i scared them off? :)

If they still let you drive around while playing with petrol bombs it could be fun!

are there any runway type areas still around there with open access then?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Not sure about the legal side of driving on private/public roads, but I suggest you check your insurance policy before you let your nephew loose with your car. Otherwise it could be an expensive form of entertainment!

Reply to
Viviane

Thank you everyone for answers. I will try to find someone who can help me to approach local farmers and may be they allow us to practice on their land or may be on a tracks that usually lead to their farms.

Thank you Viviane, I am sure my insurance company will not be happy, but I will not ne "letting him loose" - all I am thinking to allow him is slow driving under constant suprevision. This is why i am after off-road routes - you have to drive slowly there

of them make you present a licence. Well, if you know of any 4x4 courses that do not ask for a licence, please let me know

It is funny - at that age you cannot drive but you can fly the plane, which is far more complicated (my daugther has been flying little Cessna from the age of 12)

Anyway, thank you for the replies once again. If you come accross any more information that might help me, please let me know

Happy new year to all of you

Lev

Viviane wrote:

Reply to
Lev

Lev> He is very much into driving and keeps begging me to let him Lev> try to drive, which of course i cannot allow on the road. But Lev> what about off-road? Can fourteen year old legally drive the Lev> car off-road?

If it's on an off-road site, MSA rules cover anyone aged 14 or over. Check with the event organisers. I know that Thames Valley 4x4 allow anyone aged 14 or over to drive at their events with proper supervision.

is their website; some of their events might be a bit of a haul from you, but it might be worth seeing what else is happening at Avon Dassett (near Banbury).

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Not quite ... as I understand it the MSA specifies that Club supplementary regs can allow children of 14 (got a feeling this changed to 13 but haven't got a Blue Book handy) to compete in TYRO events only with an experienced passenger. The ALRC handbook basically reiterates the MSA regulations. So unless the individual *Club* supplementary regs specifically include 14 year olds in a TYRO then he's still not legal. This ruling is often overlooked by Clubs ...

Reply to
AJG