rebuild transmission_PCM re-program

Hi There,

I have 96 taurus 3.0L, high millage 197,000Km. Two weeks ago, I had replaced a rebuild transmission, Ford rebuild, dealer part.

After the replacement done, I had a test driving, I found the gear shifting was erratic, especially when gear shifting from 2nd gear down to 1st gear that was "harsh shifting" and from 1st gear up to 2nd gear was "shuddering shifting" intermittant ... same as old one but old one even worse... that's why I replaced a rebuild one.

I kept driving in this condition around 2 weeks, than I complained with the mechanic. First, He did have CONFIDENCE with DEALER PART, rebuild transmission. I asked him to do on-road testing, He found the symptom I had as well.

We went to dealer to claim the warranty today. After finished REGULAR reception paper work, Their staff drove my car into service site, I couldn't see what's going on ... after half an hour, their SENIOR service technician drove my car out... was going to do on-road test, I asked to go with him.... we did on-road test around 15 min, the symtom was GONE... I asked him what did they do on my car... He told me " he didn't do anything UNDERNEATH my car, ONLY RE-PROGRAM the PCM... I asked to drive and my driving was "panic" and "crazy" because I was trying to SHOW him what happened on my car.. BUT everything goes OK... not too many "harsh and shudder shitfing" only happen one or two times.....AMAZING....

He told me the PCM need 48 Hrs to relearn the driving mode, he suggested me to STOP the panic driving because it may interrupt/confuse PCM to relearn. We drove back to the dealer, the rep. insisted to charge me CND$95+tax.... for PCM re-program service.... I was reluctant to PAY for this....

My questions here are ....

  1. Is necessary to RE-program the PCM module after replace a transmission? Why?

  1. Is resonable to charge me CDN+tax for the RE-program service? I supposed it was covered with the price of the "rebuild transmission" CDN00.00+tax

  2. Is that correct the PCM need to take 48 Hrs (the rep. said "couple of weeks") to RElearn the driving mode to teach the transmission how to shifting gears?

Any reply, feedback are greatly appreciate...

Thx David

Reply to
SuperBang

Did the Ford dealer do the trannie swap, or did you just buy it from frod and have a independent mechanic put it in? If the Ford dealer did it, they should have reprogrammed the PCM NC. If not, You owe then the $$.

BOB

SuperBang wrote:

Reply to
BOB URZ