FREELANDER - alternative ENGINE ????

Here's a silly question !

Seeing that I am just about to bight the bullet and wear over $10,000 AU to put a brand new engine in my 1998 1.8lt Freelander ( due a manufactureing design fault in the cylinder block ) .... would it be possible....and even worth while looking into fitting an alternate engine ?

I have heard there are many different engines I could buy for way under that kind of money...but then I guess I have to look into wether another motor would even fit or be legal etc... apart from the fact that it would drop the resale value considerabley...

Any opinions please....

Cheers,

O [III\ /""III ""\ / III \ snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au

Reply to
Hi-Soft

Well, if you were in the UK you could buy another Rover Group engine and be pretty sure it would fit with a bit of fettling. But I suspect the number of Rover 600s and 800s in Australian breakers' yards is pretty small ...

Reply to
QrizB

Here's another silly question ;

If I do go ahead with the geniune brand new engine... are there any mods I could do to it before I put it in ...to give it more go ? That little 1.8li is pretty under powered !

Reply to
Hi-Soft

The 1.8 is the lame duck of the Freelander range. If you are doing a conversion why not swap to a TD4? A far better engine, but I can't imagine it being an easy change!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Why not see if you can pick up a BMW 4 cyl 150bhp 2 litre turbo diesel from a crashed 3 series - it's essentially the same motor as the TD4 but with lots more power and torque but should slot straight in with a few LR bits. . . . .

Reply to
Exit

I don't think diesel BMWs are sold in this country, so you could have a bit of trouble finding one! JD

Reply to
JD

JD says they don't sell diesel 3 series in Oz so you are pretty unlikely to find a crashed one! Shame as the 320d and 330d are much better than the equivalent petrol ones.

Looks like your only option is a TD4 conversion then, maybe chipped up for a bit more poke?

Reply to
Exit

O.K. just thought of another possiblity ....!

Didn't Land Rover up the capacity of the 2000 mod Freelander to a 2.0 lt ... but it was still in the same size engine bay ( not the bigger V6 one ) ?

If so would I be better off at least getting a 2.0 lt instead of the standard 1.8lt /

I guess it depends if it a noticeable difference in power...and also if the cost is about the same....

Reply to
Hi-Soft

Nope - still 1.8 petrol, 2.0 TD4 and 2.5 V6 I'm afraid.

However the K series engines are extremely tunable and very popular in racing cars. How do you fancy 230bhp and 200lb-ft of torque - not cheap though!

Exit

Ee gads no. The TD4 is basicallly a remapped version of the BMW 320 diesel engine, built by BMW and sold to Ford. It will be retained in the new facelifted model later this year, and is a 2.0 litre 4 cyl engine.

The 300TDi is a Land Rover designed and built 2.5 litre 4 cyl engine, with, I believe, some minor parts commonality right back to the Series diesel engine.

TD5 is a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder diesel engine, designed and built by Land Rover.

TD6 is the BMW 330 diesel engine, again built by BMW.

The next Discovery will have V6 diesels from the Peugeot stable, built in a joint venture with Ford IIRC.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Thanks Tim

I honestly thought that the Freeloaders I saw were running on 300TDis - now I know why they are much quieter than a real 300 TDi

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme