Diary of a serial car abuser

Back when I were a lad, well under 40 anyway, I thought nowt of crawling under the car every weekend tinkering with stuff, changing oil, fitting ported heads, cams, suspension and engaging in similar manly activities. Nowadays I hate doing anything other than driving the thing. A leaking tyre is a major catastrophe requiring the digging out of a trolley jack, axle stands and much puffing and wheezing from the lifelong smoker trying to wield them.

The venerable June 2001 2.0 Ford Focus ESP finally got a bit of TLC yesterday but only by virtue of my mate Gary doing it seeing as it's easier to drive the 9 miles to his place and watch him work while I smoke a couple of fags rather than doing anything myself. He gets it back in engine advice for his rally cars and the general pleasure of knowing someone as fantastic as myself so it's a fair trade. Anyway as I keep telling him when I want something done to the car, there's no point in having a dog living close by and barking myself.

The TLC in question consisted of an oil and filter change. A massive inconvenience for myself and a five minute job for him. Last time it was done according to my service logs was just over five years ago in June 2007 and exactly 8000 miles ago, three years of which though were with the car parked up for reasons I won't go into but which probably doesn't excuse me from doing it sooner. Yeah, yeah I know you should do it every year but it's a Zetec and they never break so sod it. It wasn't even that black either but after finding semi-synthetic 5W30 in Tesco for £5 for 4 litres I reluctantly bit the bullet. I even paid for a genuine Ford filter dammit.

Oil consumption was interesting though. The Focus takes 4.25 litres according to the book which we've verified by measurement. The 5 litre can of 5W30 I used back in 2007 had 0.75 litres left in it for topping up and the engine had exactly used all of that that with the dipstick still exactly on the full mark 8000 miles later just before we (he) drained it. That's 1 litre per 10666 miles which seems pretty damn good to me.

I'd been toying with the idea of changing the 11 year old antifreeze too but this apparently requires things to be undone which seems an excessive amount of work so I've never bothered. So we checked it with his hydrometer thingy and bugger me it's still crystal clear, still right at the full mark, not a trace of contaminants, a very attractive shade of light blue and floated the floaty thingy as high as the markings go which means it's still perfect. I'll check it again in another 11 years I think and stop worrying about it.

Cam belts are supposed to go 100,000 miles or 10 years and my car has only done 53,000 so that clearly doesn't need touching and I'm having no truck with the 10 year bit either despite my car being 11 years old. I've got underwear older than that so a decent bit of rubber ought to last longer.

If it used any brake fluid I'd change it, well maybe I'd top it up, but it never has done so sod that too.

Sadly though the original Firestone Firehawk 700 rear tyres have now been officially deemed f***ed after 52,800 miles. 1.9mm of tread left in the middle and 1.75mm at the sides. That's probably also why I keep losing the back end in the wet when I get spirited and having to exert myself by letting the ESP system sort things out. I could apply opposite lock in extremis I suppose but that also seems like too much hard work for a heavy smoker. Dogs and barking yourself again. The fronts have been changed twice in the same period so I suppose I can't grumble about 25k mile tyre life at the front and twice that at the rear. Luckily a nearly new set of Michelin snow tyres has just found their way to me free of charge courtesy of a mate of Gary's who was selling his car that had them fitted so we'll pop those on when the weather gets bad.

The battery, as per my various previous threads, continues to annoy me. After 11 and a half years and being sat flat as a pancake doing nowt for three of those it should be dead as a dead thing but it stubbornly refuses to die or even misbehave. I think it's become a battle of wills. I actually want it to die so A) I can finally say how long they last and B) Gary has a shed full of suitable free replacements anyway from the multiple s/h cars he constantly t*ts around with to maintain his rally fleet. It would give him something to do. I could phone up one day and say the car won't start and he could nip round with a new battery, fit it for me and feel useful and white knight like but it seems destined not to be. Maybe the coming cold weather will kill it? Maybe if I pry the tamper proof top off and pour something nasty in the cells it might help?

So basically it rarely needs oil, never needs coolant, doesn't use brake fluid and you can't top up the battery anyway. I once, briefly, had a girlfriend who was similarly resistant to having any fluids inserted and needless to say that didn't last long. I definitely prefer the Focus.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The antifreeze should be pink and may have lost its anti corrosion properties.

Brake and clutch fluid should be replaced because of its hygroscopic properties pulling in moisture which then puddles in the master cylinder and rusts it.

It is not the belt that fails but the plastic surrounding the tensioner bearing, when it falls off, the tensioner effectively gets smaller and the belt jumps. I have seen this twice on Focus at ten years old (both very low mileage), one I was too late, the other had cracked through more than half of its circumference and a belt kit fixed it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Being colourblind I'm very bad at the pinks / purples and similar shades. I don't see much of the red wavelengths so they all appear blue. However thinking back it was definitely a very "girly" shade of blue which I'm happy to concede was more than likely pink.

Corrosion? What's that? Zetecs don't do that sort of thing. Well not mine anyway. After a lifetime of driving old nails like Mk2 Fiestas and even worse the XR2i rotbox where the coolant was usually dog puke colour with bits floating in it and a light scum of oil on top I was just astonished to see this perfectly clear liquid come out after 11 years looking like it had just been freshly filled. However I've gots plans to whip the head off and port it when I get my milling machine and lathe back up here so I may be forced to change the coolant too. Drat.

Bah, humbug, plastic. Why do they do that sort of stupid thing? At least on the CVH, Pinto, Pug 205 you can manage for ages on a rumbly solid metal bearing and get round to it when time allows without fearing it'll actually break. Still, as I say, head off soon anyway so I'll bite some more bullets when I (ahem I mean Gary) puts it back together.

Reply to
Dave Baker

You'd think they could arrange things so there's a button inside the cabin you can push and it drains itself or a manservant comes round and does it while you wait.

Reply to
Dave Baker

even though your tyre life seems to

A lot of my mileage over the eight years of ownership has been the long straight motorway trips from London to Aberdeen to see friends so that will have been quite kind on tyres. Now that I've actually moved up here and am living in country road land in the middle of bloody nowhere I suspect tyre life will be worse. There's a new hazard on the roads up here I'm not much accustomed to. You can be driving along in a perfectly straight line happily minding your own business texting or playing with the stereo and then for no apparent reason the road goes off in a different direction and you have to actually look up again and get round this thing, I'm not sure what they call it up here but I'll coin the term "bendy thing" and if you don't slow down, which I'm not partial to doing, and especially if it's wet the back end steps out and this light comes on on the dashboard and it sorts itself out again. It's all very peculiar and clearly not a sensible way to design roads. The Romans had that all sussed 2000 years ago but they seem not to have taken any notice up here.

Anyway I'm glad my Focus has the "bendy thing sorter outer" dashboard light fitted or I don't know what I'd do to get to Tesco in Ellon. I suspect I'd arrive travelling backwards most of the time.

Gary says if I wasn't such a (and then he says a word that sounds like clucking but it's hard to tell with his atrocious Scottish accent) tight arse and fitted some decent rear tyres the bendy thing sorter outer light wouldn't come on in the first place. Well pardon me for bloody breathing but I've just spent ten quid on it for oil and filter which is about two years worth of the annual maintenance budget it gets alloted and that'll have to do until I've saved up again. I'm already over budget strictly speaking with the new wiper blades I had to fit two years ago which haven't fully amortised yet and I will not have the damn thing turn into a money pit!

Reply to
Dave Baker
[...]

Were you originally from Scotland by any chance?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Another hmmm. With the correct 32 psi in the rear snow tyres on the same road I travelled yesterday in the same cold and damp conditions the back end felt like it was on ice. A little white delivery van on skinny rubber was bombing along in front of me and I didn't feel safe enough to keep up. Every corner felt like the back end was about to let go. I dropped in by Gary's on the way back and checked my tyre gauge against two of his and I'm happy mine is correct so I've put the rears back up to 38 psi and we'll try again.

Gary reckons snow tyres have softer sidewalls than regular tyres and feel a bit squirmy on stock pressures. Trouble is the roads round here have so much bloody tractor mud on them at the moment it's hard to know whether they're really just very slippy or it's my car not gripping normally.

Reply to
Dave Baker