Freelander head gasket - what a surprise!

Well, it's happened for the second time. Head gasket's gone at 82K miles. It originally went at 36K and was fixed under warranty.

The car's now nearly 4.5 years old now and has been serviced by an independant since the warranty expired.

What's the line taken by Landrover at the moment? I seem to recall reading that if it was out of warranty and not serviced by a dealer they were fixing them for half the labour costs. Am I deluding myself?

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Mine went 2 weeks ago at 76k - 6 years old but full lrsh. They told me they may pay for the head gasket itself but not labour!?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Naismith

Mine went at 55k, but was serviced at the dealer. LandRover paid full parts and labour.

Reply to
MDW

Apparently, I caught it in time to prevent engine damage, so it's a head gasket and modified thermostat housing. Total cost is likely to be around

600-700 GBP. Hopefully, they'll at least contribute towards the labour. I'm going to be making a fuss if they don't. Just got to wait a week or two to find out now.

At least SWMBO has conceded that it's got to go as soon as it's back on the road.

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Bad form, replying to your own posts, but...

It only took two days for a response from Landrover. They're going to pay

50%. At least that's 50% of a repair, not 50% of a new engine. Total cost has miraculously risen to £900, so it's going to cost us £450.

Could have been worse. On the other hand, it could have happened some the next owner and not us!

Just got to get the rear window working and the front shocks replaced and we'll be able to sell it :-(

Reply to
Steve Morgan