Gear change problems

This is a 1990 110 CSW 2.5TD with LT77 gearbox, recent master and slave clutch cylinders.

Recently I have found problems getting the gearbox to go into third. This is not a "graunching" issue, there just doesn't seem to be the gate there. You can push it that direction, but there is just nowhere for it to go.

Sometimes it slips in as sweet as a nut, others I have to go to 4th, then back to third. In extreme I go back to second to accelerate as I have lost so much road speed trying to find 3rd. Road speed or engine speed seem to make little difference. 2nd to 3rd is the issue. 4th to

3rd is usually OK.

Even more recently 1st is becoming more elusive (when stopped!)

I have checked the oil, the clutch has a very high bite point (so I reckon it is fully releasing) and the clutch master and slave cylinders are very recent and have been bled.

I understand that 1st and 3rd are on different shafts, so there is nothing common there.

What have I missed? Any thoughts?

(Apart from a new box!)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Have you changed the gearbox oil recently (i.e. within

6,000 miles) - it makes a hell of a difference if it's old, difficulty in getting gears being a classic symptom. Plus changing it is a good oportunity to look of any interesting bits that come out........ ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I sent a response, but it hasn't appeared. Sorry if it appears twice!

The car was serviced around 2000 miles ago. I assumed that they changed the oil then (but then I was always taught "Don't assume, it only makes an ASS out of U and ME!") So they may not have.

I will change it. What is the recommended fluid and what is the capacity of the box please?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Dexron DII ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is the stuff,

2.67 litres.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard,

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

In message , puffernutter writes

Remove the gear lever complete with the alloy turret that holds the large pivot and you will find the bush that the small ball on the bottom of the ball joint fits. Make sure that the grub screw holding this to the shaft is tight.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Broken bias springs/plate or adjustment at base of gearstick?

Martin

Reply to
Oily