getting the best from a 2.5 n/a diesel

Now I've decided to keep my 2.5 n/a diesel I'd like to get the best from it. it's done 226k miles.

I'll probably be fitting a reconditioned injector pump after snapping the bleed screw housing off last week.

At the same time I may have the timing belt done as the books say it has to come off to remove the injector pump anyway.

Also on my list are a set of recon injectors.

Aside from regular oil changes and a round of filters regularly what else can be done to get the best from this engine?

I think rebuilding the engine is beyond the budget and maybe beyond the timescale as I need to have the vehicle on the road asap and definatly by mid january at the very very latest.

There are no measurable coolant or oil leaks on the engine, I've not had to top-up the coolant since buying the vehicle in january and the oil does drop between changes but very little, (enough to keep the lower half of the engine rust free but not enough to need topping up in 5k miles between oil changes).

your thoughts please boys and girls.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The injector pump and new injectors made a good improvement on mine.

If it runs well now, then leave it. start considering it if you ever loose the head gasket, or have to do some other major work.

I rebuilt mine. took 2 or 3 months of me not working very hard at it. The shells on it were well knackered. New piston rings made a hell of a difference too. Mine probably hadnt done that many miles (a previous owner had it reconditioned), but it had been well abused and leaked oil out of every seal and possible orifice. Mine had also lost its timing belt in the past and was still suffering from some bent valves which a head recon sorted out.

What do you mean by 'best'?. Make it live a long and happy life or improve it? You seem to have got all the things sussed for the former.

To give mine a bit more go I have got a K&N filter on the engine, and i've changed the exhaust (It was lying about at home so i thought i'd see what it did and it actually gave it a lot more go!). Both cheap and easy improvements. I dont think that mine could run any better than it does now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I was considering a K&N but I thought that would not make any difference to the engine in a n/a diesel? I wouldn't mind a stainless exhaust as my off-roading isn't serious to make damageing it likely and I'd consider it an investment.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

TBH i didnt put it on the engine - my mate who had it before me did and he said it made a difference. I can certainly notice the difference when i take it off and clean it properly (which i dont do often enough!)

I have an old cherry bomb on instead of the proper backbox :) My mate had it on his 2.25 petrol until he bought a new one. After walking past it for a few weeks as it lay in the yard i decided to try it and see what happened. I was quite surprised that it made a very noticable difference! It seems to make it pull off much better, especially in 1st and 2nd. Seems to make it more torquey at the start of the gears. I can now get up hills in 4th and 4th overdrive which I used to be lucky to do in

3rd. It would be interesting to see what effect a full system in a slightly bigger bore would have (like the stainless sports ones)
Reply to
Tom Woods