cooling questions...

ok, my mind is mulling over some modifications for my land rover, keeping the 2.5 n/a diesel.

would there be any advantages to fitting an engine oil cooler?

ditto for an intercooler?

I'm considering an electric fan. would it be best to fit a big electric fan in the same place as the fan is now? or is infront of the radiator better? (I know some fans are designed to suck and others to blow). I'm hoping to gain a faster warm-up.

I assume I could fit a dash switch to switch the fan off for any deep water work and leave it on a thermostat the rest of the time?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I was going to fit one to mine but i couldnt get the viscious fan off! (the sherpa one doesnt seem to bear any relation to the LR one!)

I think thats the general approach

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:48:37 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

you need a thin flat spanner, normally - it's common to have a hex on the inner side of the fan, where it screws onto the water pump. Mostly left-hand threads, and you shift it by lining it all up and hitting the spanner with hammer to jar it loose. helps if the water pump belt is suitably tight. size is likely to be either 32 or 36 mm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unlikely to be an advantage unless doing a lot of stationary work or heavy off-road in an extremely hot climate.

Inter-what? A n/a diesel has no compressor to heat the incoming air so an intercooler would not cool the incoming air, simply increase breathing resistance and add weight.

Probably makes no difference, but there is little room for a fan in front with the condenser and fan for the air conditioning I assume you are fitting since you are contemplating an oil cooler.

The oil cooler will slow your warm up.

Sounds good.

JD

Reply to
JD

Last winter I took my fan off and ran all winter till the weather started to get hot. I didn't see the temperature go above half even when the weather started to get hot, but chickened out and put the fan back on b4 it overheated.

Reply to
George Spigot

On or around Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:57:01 -0000, "George Spigot" enlightened us thusly:

I did that with a Di diesel minibus, in the winter. It never even got near overheating, even in slow traffic.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One should ideally have such a spanner - but a tap with a cold chisel and hammer (remembering the left hand thread!) will do the trick - both for loosening and tightening, if one is not to hand.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd