what's the difference? 2.5 n/a and early td.

What is the difference between my 1984 2.5 n/a diesel engine and the early TD that was around 1985ish? most obvious is the turbo tied to the side of it but what else? oil cooler? intercooler? different injection pump or injection pump timing? anything in the engine itself uprated for the extra power from the turbo?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In article , Mr. Nice. writes

Don't even think about it !

Yes the engine is uprated (head and pistons) but still fails on a regular basis.

So it if you bolt a turbo on yours it will die even quicker.

Just for your info the engines were fitted with oil coolers (built into the rad) there was no intercooler fitted.

It is a simple nut and bolt job to fit the turbo but a very very very bad idea.

The TD is not a good choice to upgrade to. I must have 4 or 5 sitting around the yard that have died.

Reply to
marc

was a quite different engine, the TD has an oil cooler, not sure if the NA did. The TD did not have an intercooler although in my opinion if it had one then it would have solved alot of the 'problems' that the engine suffered. The block would have been strengthened and also the crank(?), the pistons would also be different. The other main difference is that the NA had a chain driven camshaft whereas the TD had a belt. I'm sure that there must have been other detail changes but I can't think of them at the moment. Are u thinking of turbocharging a NA engine??

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Twas 29 Oct 2004 13:03:57 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) put finger to keyboard producing:

was a quite different engine, the TD has an oil cooler, not sure if the NA did. The TD did not have an intercooler although in my opinion if it had one then it would have solved alot of the 'problems' that the engine suffered.

My n/a has a belt.

a friend is looking to get an early 110 with the td engine, and she's hopeless as a mechanic, I was curious how different it would be from my engine.

and yea, that thought crossed my mind ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

block was a quite different engine, the TD has an oil cooler, not sure if the NA did. The TD did not have an intercooler although in my opinion if it had one then it would have solved alot of the 'problems' that the engine suffered.

The TD engine definatly had diferent pistons and I beleve a difrent material spec was used for the precombustion chambers too. A intercooler may well have made that engine resonably reliable! Toby

Reply to
TVS

was a quite different engine, the TD has an oil cooler, not sure if the NA did. The TD did not have an intercooler although in my opinion if it had one then it would have solved alot of the 'problems' that the engine suffered.

Ah yes, you're right about the belt / chain thing, must have had a bit of brain fade. The last LR N/A engine I had apart was the 2.25, with a chain.

If you get stuck theres a 2.5TD sitting in my garage if you need one!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Twas 30 Oct 2004 12:09:04 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) put finger to keyboard producing:

block was a quite different engine, the TD has an oil cooler, not sure if the NA did. The TD did not have an intercooler although in my opinion if it had one then it would have solved alot of the 'problems' that the engine suffered.

does it work and is it cheapedy cheap cheap?

wouldn't mind one in my 110, skint though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

No oil cooler on my N/A

Reply to
Tom Woods

The "only" differences between 2.5NA's and TD's are the pistons and size of exhaust valves, therefore the head. The bottom ends are identical. Almost all parts are now on our site for anyone who wants to check!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The most important difference between the n/a and TD is the extra oil control ring on the piston bottom. Without this the engine very quickly starts blowing it's oil out of every orifice, even blowing off the oil filler cap when clamped on. Don't waste your time and money, you will only wreck the engine. I know, I bought one before knowing anything about LRs Peter

Reply to
Peter