GKN Overdrive.

Gents I have a GKN overdrive unit fitted to my 90 and I noticed after a drive of 300miles on Saturday at 60 to 70mph I have oil coming out of the overdrive breather pipe in the engine bay. Has anyone had a similar problem ? It looks like around 50 to 150mls has leak out. Until Saturday this unit has cover 50,000 mile without any problems. Cheers Billy

Reply to
Billy4x4

In message , Billy4x4 writes

Hello Billy

Long time no speak.

Hope you are well.

Have you checked the level in the overdrive unit ? is it high? Is the transfer box low? Just a thought

Regards

Reply to
Marc Draper

i used to have a similar problem on my old series 3 with fairey overdrive. the seal between the transfer box and the overdrive went which meant the oil used to transfer between the boxes.

Like Marc said, its worth checking the oil levels. Luckily, mine used to go for about 5000 miles before levels got a bit dodgy and i needed to drain / refill

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I've got a GKN type R on my 110, it had the same problem, I changed all the seals several times to no avail, GKN where helpful but unable to suggest a cause, they supplied numerous sets of seals at no charge and spent sometime talking the problem over with their engineers - actually I was overfilling the transfer box, (ok I filled it through the wrong hole !!) with the right level the leaking stopped.

The only way into the overdrive from the transfer box is via the main seal or through the internal mounting bolts (which should have thread seal on them) - GKN report seal failure as "rare"

Dont hang around to fix it because it looks like the excessive oil in the overdrive kills the speed sensor, effectively disabling the unit, you'll have to bypass the circuit to keep it going.

Reply to
cgodsave

Gents many thanks for your idea's I have checked the oil level in the overdrive box and managed to drain off 750mls of oil ! I have today ordered a new set of seals and gaskets and will topping up the transfer box ASAP and replacing the seals over the next weekend hopefully that will sort the problem. cheers Peter

Reply to
Billy4x4

theoverdrivebox and managed to drain off 750mls of oil ! I have today ordered

Hi I have a Defender Black 110, a "52" with 45k on the clock. Seems my overdrive has done the same. Found OD unit to be low on oil at last service. Topped it up. Checked it today and found too much in it. It smells like EP90 in there. So I must assume seals have gone. Where can I get a set of seals and gaskets?

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
andrew

Hi Andrew Devon4x4 hold spare seals etc around a tenner for the 2 + postage Cheers Peter

Reply to
Billy4x4