Oil from 200tdi

Hi all.

I have a 90 which has had it's engine replaced with a 200tdi. The engine has been spewing out oil from the breather pipe since it was fitted and I've just got it back from Simmonites who sold it to me. They have tested it for crankcase pressure etc and can't find a problem, they found plenty of other problems with the rest of the car :o(

When I collected it this weekend they had put a clear plastic bottle on the pipe and taken it for a 50 mile drive. Not a drop of oil. Excellent I thought, they've fixed it. I drove home, about 180 miles, along motorway and dual carriageway and checked the bottle at home. It had about a centimetre of oil in it. Is it possible it's only happening at speed? My brother had a 200tdi disco some years ago that spread oil over the back door if he sat at 80. Numerous trips to the dealers never resolved it.

Is this a problem or should I stop worrying about it? I do a fair amount of motorway driving in it as Norfolk is some way from the hills, any hills. :o)

Reply to
Kev

Has the engine got the right dipstick fitted? You're not inadvertantly over filling it are you?

Is the engine mounted in the same orientation as it should be? Not tipped left/right/up/down?

I'd be inclined to leave the clear bottle in place and see how much oil actully comes out. It might be less than you think as a little drop makes a lot of itself!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

The 200 TDi should have a closed breathing system, not one that vents to atmosphere. There should be a cyclone, metal or larger plastic depending on age, fitted to the rear left [looking from the back] of the rocker cover. From the bottom there should be an oil drain connected back to the sump and from the side there should be a pipe carrying dry gas to the inlet air pipes. If it is vented to atmo then you will likely lose oil. If plumbed properly then all oil should just drain back into the sump.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hi Huw

Sorry for the delay in replying

What you describe is as fitted to my tdi. The oil is coming from the pipe that would normally be connected to the inlet air pipes. Simmonites disconnected this and added a plastic bottle to the end to show me that it doesn't leak oil. 200 miles later and it is leaking oil. They seemed to have ignored the fact I showed them the oil dripping from this pipe when I took the car to them in the first place.

Kev

Huw wrote:

bottle

depending on

Reply to
kev

Certainly for the metal, and I would think for the larger and more efficient plastic version, there is a service requirement for these units. This consists of periodically removing the unit and giving it a thorough flush and internal clean. Having done this all the oil should drop down the downpipe to the sump and not into the intake pipe. An overfilled engine might overwhelm the system but generally it should not breath enough to cause a problem.

A small amount of oil finding its way into the inlet should be no problem. The fact that you have disconnected the pipe from the inlet manifold and ended it in a bottle will almost certainly adversely effect the efficiency of the cyclone as the speed and volume of air in the cyclone will be less than needed to throw the oil against the outer wall to effect separation from the gas. So in effect you get a false reading from the bottle.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks for that info. That gives me something to do over Christmas :o) Kev

Reply to
kev