Green Lane Report on BBC Lunchtime News

Just watched the above report.

Starts with a chap on a trailbike negotiating a lane blocked by the farmer with locked gates and a dumped plough. Biker says he helped clear the route just before the farmer decided to block it.

Moves onto show two country types struggling along a 2 foot wide gully full of mud in their wellies. They blame constant 4WD use for the mud. They don't mention which types of 4WD are narrower than 2 feet wide and BBC bod doesn't question them. There are no ruts or tyre marks at all.

Ends with the BBC correspndent having a ride through a tarmac ford and telling his audience more and more people are going to do this off-roading thing and are always looking for new tracks to drive.

Whole thing was filmed just down the road from me at Coughton Ford and the old ford at Great Alne, both in Warwickshire. Both of these have rock and tarmac bases which are incapable of being damaged. Didn't recognise the 2 foot wide gully though! ;-)

Reply to
Exit

Nobody ever complains about the damage agricultural vehicles cause do they ?

Reply to
Larry

Or horses. I've seen lanes completely chewed up through regular use to access paddocks from a stables. That said, last year the stables paid to have the track re-graded. Don't know if the council forced them to or not, but I suspect they only did it because they couldn't get thier lovely shiny new range-rover on road-slicks down there any more.

Alex

Reply to
Alex