Air jacks

Anybody used these for recovery situations?

I read an article in an old LR mag which praised them, but haven't seen them around at all. It strikes me that you have to be able to get to the bottom of the vehicle to use them (which doesn't help if it's bottomed out in mud) but I quite like the idea.

They would have got me out of trouble at least once!

David.

Reply to
David French

I was asking about these a few months ago after reading about them in Tom Sheppards Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide. Didn't realise Halfords would sell something as handy as this. May get one to play with as they're cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. Not too sure I'd rely on it though, but still worth a play to see.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I bought an exhaust jack way back (mid 80s I think) and used it a lot for recovering vehicles from soft sand and mud. We even righted my Jackaroo with it after some wanker (not me) decided to put it on its side. I've still got the bag, the hose rubber (bicycle inner tubes) perished years ago and I replaced them with some PVC tubing. The only problem I've encountered in recent years - a rusty exhaust blew out and just would not supply enough gas to inflate the bag.

I'd not trust them for wheel changing, far too wobbly IMO.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Like a lot of things they are ideal in some situations, but not in others. We tried them out for desert work and discovered:

  1. they don't like spikey bits, e.g. series spring U bolt ends
  2. they REALLY don't like hot exhaust pipes
  3. they take up more stowage space than a jack and a tow rope

They aren't really very good for LRs etc. They work best where they can take a wide load, such as the underside of a modern car, not the assorted bits and pieces under a LR.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

I've got one, and as others have said, they're good in the right situation. There seem to be two grades: The real thing has a price tag of £100+, the cheaper ones which are OK with gentle handling are around £30. I've used mine (cheap one) a couple of times and I'm really impressed with it. See link below:

Pete Turier