Heavy Steering

Same Landrover as we're having the dashboard problem with, a 1991 Discovery V8i. The power steering is also playing up a bit.

Most of the time it's fine but occasionally it goes heavy, only when the engine revs are low, and becomes distinctly harder to steer.

Presumably the pressure in the power steering system is dropping, resulting in the heaviness. Is this likely to be the pump or the steering box? Maybe a new set of seals? There's no sign of any fluid loss, incidentally.

Million dollar question: Is it likely to be cheap or expensive?

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

You have checked the drive belts, haven't you?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Check the tension on the belt that drives the pump and the level of the fluid first. Has it been colder than normal lately?

Pete

Reply to
Peter

In news: snipped-for-privacy@Gary.gary, Gary Sutherland wrote: | Same Landrover as we're having the dashboard problem with, a 1991 | Discovery V8i. The power steering is also playing up a bit. | | Most of the time it's fine but occasionally it goes heavy, only when | the engine revs are low, and becomes distinctly harder to steer. | | Presumably the pressure in the power steering system is dropping, | resulting in the heaviness. Is this likely to be the pump or the | steering box? Maybe a new set of seals? There's no sign of any fluid | loss, incidentally. | | Million dollar question: Is it likely to be cheap or expensive? | | Cheers | Gary

Cheap.

Check the coupling on the steering wheel side of the PAS steering box.

Because of how it lies on top of the chassis rail it can pick up lots of crud, especially if some mechanic has helpfully greased it up.

Either clean it out, or better replace it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Check the fropnt swivels have fluid / grease in them. If the front axle has been jet washed or had a good dunking the seals on the swivels will drag on the chrome balls. This will be more noticeable at lower engine speeds as this is usually when we do most steering, such as carparking etc etc.

Can be quickly checked by smearing ep 90 on your balls.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Ooohh! The first kinky suggestion I've seen in 2004 ... nice one Lee :-))

LOL Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Well...if it doesn't take your mind off your steering then it's time to get the spanners out :-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

It may be worth considering that the alternator and power steering pump rely on the same belt to make them spin round.... A possible cause for power steering starting to fail is a loose belt. A possible cause for rev counter failing and charge light coming on is a loose belt.

Could it be you have a loose belt ?

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:47:14 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

well spotted. Just goes to show.

which reminds me, the belt on my 110 has bedded in and needs tightening.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks everyone. I checked thebelt to check it hadn't broken but will re-check the tension. I'll also check the drop arm.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland